Home Autographs Forum
Options

Wayne gretzky autograph?

CollectorgagitCollectorgagit Posts: 7
edited June 16, 2023 7:33AM in Autographs Forum

Inherited some random items and have no were to turn in my area for answers! Done some research on the poster and turns out to be a rear Costaco poster referencing the Wayne's world connection? But no one will speak to the autograph being real or fake. I've looked around at authentic signatures and it looks pretty spot on to me but I'm no expert! Opinions please.. real or fake?

Answers

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do know he used autopen but not sure if that’s autopen. I can compare later to see if I can find a match. Doesn’t appear to have the tall tale signs of an autopen at first glance.

• Options

It's definitely unique! The signature appears to be in a metallic marker...definitely looks hand written but again I'm no expert! Wish I had an idea of value if real!

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was also thinking it might be a forgery, unfortunately, but I do not know Wayne Gretzky’s signature well enough to say for sure. It doesn’t look quite like the ones I was used to seeing (the way his last name is signed seems irregular to me). But it might be totally legit. I just haven’t studied his signature since a long time.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not an expert, but comparing to other examples there are some things about yours that appear here and there - the G sweeping under his first name isn’t common but it happens. The G doesn’t always have a loop at the upper left but it happens. The thing I’d be most worried about is the W - he seems to have a consistent pointed middle hump (or whatever you want to call the middle of the W) - your poster is pretty flat there. Doesn’t mean it’s not legit - this could have been his 1000th auto of the day, so who knows?

Jim

• Options

I did notice same things but for the most part I have found a handful of different autos that are verified that do hit in those ways. The biggest and most consistent thing that everyone keeps telling me is that even if I'm told that it's legit not to trust it because apparently Wayne Gretzky hated the Wayne's world movie Connection, or it's afilation to him, which I don't know if that's true or not. So let's just say it's real how would you price something that someone regrets being involved in? Or would that make it more valuable or less?

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure that plays into it too much. If it’s legit, it’s a Wayne autograph. I’m sure there are plenty of Wayne’s World and Gretzky fans out there that would pay the going rate or maybe even a little higher for it for those 2 things combined.

Jim

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

That is not legit unfortunately.
    Too many red flags.

A J

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@Applejacks said:
    That is not legit unfortunately.
    Too many red flags.

A J