IMEX show (Nashville)

13»

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@skier07 said:

@Dug13 said:
    $10.00 admission fee!
    All the shows I've been to are free parking/ free admission.
    The largest is about 130-150 tables.
    I never attended a major show,
    Is that normal?
    What does FUN or an ANA Show cost to get in?

Maybe it’s me. Maybe it’s because I live in Southern California and everything is expensive but seriously I don’t understand the griping over a $10 admission fee. People are spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on coins and yet they’re complaining about ten dollars.

Probably because it seems petty. Dealers spend a small fortune to be there.

Very nicely written and, while I don't particularly care about a nominal admission fee, I agree with you.

With one exception. Small local shows, oftentimes put on by clubs, will have a $1-5 entry fee. I am very happy to pay that as I don't feel like it is lining a promoter's pocket.

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2023 9:54AM

“I went to Whitman Baltimore a couple times but stopped because I didn’t like the location.”

Nothing like endemic crime or an ill timed burning riot to discourage attendance in a city.

• NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@NJCoin said:

@skier07 said:

@Dug13 said:
    $10.00 admission fee!
    Is that normal?

Maybe it’s me. Maybe it’s because I live in Southern California and everything is expensive but seriously I don’t understand the griping over a $10 admission fee. People are spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on coins and yet they’re complaining about ten dollars.

Very nicely written and, while I don't particularly care about a nominal admission fee, I agree with you.

With one exception. Small local shows, oftentimes put on by clubs, will have a $1-5 entry fee. I am very happy to pay that as I don't feel like it is lining a promoter's pocket.

Very true. Supporting local clubs is very important. It's why I belong to FUN, even though I do not live in FL, and their shows are free even if you are not a member. So, as you can see, for me it really IS about the principle and not the $10.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to over 300 coin shows. I live in the area and am not going to the show.

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I have been to over 300 coin shows. I live in the area and am not going to the show.

Just curious why you would not attend if you live in the area?

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the reasons,and it's just a guess,for a high admission fee may be to keep undesirables/riff raff out. A deterrent if you will. But again if someone has theft on their minds they may pay anyway.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@skier07 said:

@Dug13 said:
    $10.00 admission fee!
    Is that normal?

Whatever incremental revenue the promoters make by charging the fee really should be built in to the dealer fees, because you want to incentivize ALL traffic to come in and look around, not just die hard collectors jonesing for a show who will happily pony up. As they are at FUN, Whitman, ANA for members, PCGS for members, and just about every other local and regional show in the country.

After all, other than warehouse clubs, people are just not conditioned to pay an admission fee to enter a bourse. That's why.

It's probably less the $10 than the principle that their pockets are being picked because they are not receiving anything of value for the $10, other than the opportunity to patronize one of the dealers who already paid to be able to sell to them. And, if the reality is that dealers are only there to do business with other dealers, and they don't care about the public, then make it a dealers-only show.

Because, I'll tell you, I go to more than my share of shows, and don't pay admission fees. That said, I think it's a disgrace when the bourse is half empty any time before the last minute of the last day of the show, although I get why dealers want to do what they came there to do, and then clear out at a day and time convenient to them.

I'm annoyed when the show is free and I made a trip only to find that. I'd be outraged if I paid an admission fee, and I'd demand a refund. Since promoters cannot actually chain dealers to their tables for the duration of a show, building a revenue model that does not involve an admission fee from the general public is a reasonable solution. As evidenced by the fact that most major shows do just that.

If a show needs $10 to survive, it's probably not going to make it. And, if it doesn't, the $10 should probably be left in the pocket of the collector, rather than transferred to the pocket of the promoter. JMHO.

——

I see it differently. The cover charge is to bring in people truly interested. Dealers do not need an extra 1000 people at a show who have little to no intent to transact and are just there to spend their day.

edited October 25, 2023 6:04PM

@johnny010 said:

@NJCoin said:

@skier07 said:

@Dug13 said:
    $10.00 admission fee!
    Is that normal?

Whatever incremental revenue the promoters make by charging the fee really should be built in to the dealer fees, because you want to incentivize ALL traffic to come in and look around, not just die hard collectors jonesing for a show who will happily pony up. As they are at FUN, Whitman, ANA for members, PCGS for members, and just about every other local and regional show in the country.

After all, other than warehouse clubs, people are just not conditioned to pay an admission fee to enter a bourse. That's why.

It's probably less the $10 than the principle that their pockets are being picked because they are not receiving anything of value for the $10, other than the opportunity to patronize one of the dealers who already paid to be able to sell to them. And, if the reality is that dealers are only there to do business with other dealers, and they don't care about the public, then make it a dealers-only show.

Because, I'll tell you, I go to more than my share of shows, and don't pay admission fees. That said, I think it's a disgrace when the bourse is half empty any time before the last minute of the last day of the show, although I get why dealers want to do what they came there to do, and then clear out at a day and time convenient to them.

I'm annoyed when the show is free and I made a trip only to find that. I'd be outraged if I paid an admission fee, and I'd demand a refund. Since promoters cannot actually chain dealers to their tables for the duration of a show, building a revenue model that does not involve an admission fee from the general public is a reasonable solution. As evidenced by the fact that most major shows do just that.

If a show needs $10 to survive, it's probably not going to make it. And, if it doesn't, the $10 should probably be left in the pocket of the collector, rather than transferred to the pocket of the promoter. JMHO.

——

I see it differently. The cover charge is to bring in people truly interested. Dealers do not need an extra 1000 people at a show who have little to no intent to transact and are just there to spend their day.

Fair enough. No reason for anyone to waste time with a tire kicker, because they are never converted into buyers, right? All those merchants wasting all that time and money on window displays at downtown department stores all over the country back in the day had no idea what they were doing. Neither do the folks running FUN or Whitman, or any of the other shows looking to bring in as many people as they can with easily accessible locations, free admission, free parking, free drawings, etc.

I honestly wish these guys nothing but the best. $10 wouldn't stop me from going if I had any interest, but I also don't think it's necessary, or a good look. If they want to limit attendance to true die hards, having a brand new show in an expensive location, the same time as an established regional show, and then charging daily admission while attempting to hide the dealer list until pressured to release it is definitely the way to go.

edited October 25, 2023 7:59PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    One of the reasons,and it's just a guess,for a high admission fee may be to keep undesirables/riff raff out. A deterrent if you will. But again if someone has theft on their minds they may pay anyway.

Nope. Deterrent to keep out casual collectors, and simply members of the public who might be converted to collectors. Which no one wants to encourage, because we already have more collectors than we know what to do with. 😂

Nothing but the cost of doing business for everyone else, including thieves. Major shows do a decent job controlling who attends by requiring registration, including government issued photo IDs, with or without an admission fee.

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I want to speak to the entrance fee. $10, not a lot. I only go to a few coin shows a year and appreciate being let in for free. I go to a lot of gun shows each year and every one has an entrance fee of $7 to $10. Most have a coupon you can use to get $1 off. I also go to Civil War Relic Shows and their entry fee is usually $5 but they let Veterans in for free. So, I get in for free but then I always throw a couple of dollars into their raffles.

I will continue to go to gun shows and pay my way. If coin shows all start charging, then I'll probably pay my way there. $10 is not going to stop me from going even if I am just going to look and not to buy. Car shows, if you are entering a car is usually $15 to $25 but it's free to get in. You are there to look and judge and maybe eat a Chik-fil-A over priced sandwich. That entry fee never stopped me from bringing my car.

If it is something I want to do and something I enjoy then I don't mind paying for the opportunity.

Up to you, pout and not go because you have to pay admission or suck it up, buy something for $10 less than it is marked and make yourself feel better.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hearing lots of buzz about this show, curious to see how it does.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 420 ✭✭✭

“I want to speak to the entrance fee. $10, not a lot.”

On principle, I choose not to attend coin shows with admission fees. I don’t want to “pay to play.”

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

More people waiting to get in than at the summer fun show. That’s a good start.

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

No one likes paying a fee.

Adding a fee is guaranteed to increase profits, but will certainly keep some away. Maybe some that might learn and become more interested in the hobby?

At a minimum, I'd think anyone under 18 should be allowed for free?

• We moved away after they added the 4th, 6th, and 8th lanes to the highway, and it was still at a standstill. But there are some nice towns in the donut counties as long as you do not have to regularly use 65/40/24.

edited October 27, 2023 6:11PM

So, given all the hoopla and three pages of comments, where are all the show reports? I honestly thought there would have been a half dozen or more by now. Has everyone been standing in line all day and night waiting for Steve Forbes to dispense wisdom on hard money and to sign a book? 😀

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sign me up @Pnies20 i like your writing style.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2023 8:26PM

The $10 admission fee would have been more palatable and easier to take if it was good alldays instead of just one.

Who knows maybe attendance would greatly increase and more sales for dealers by doing so.

@Pnies20 said:

@NJCoin said:
    So, given all the hoopla and three pages of comments, where are all the show reports? I honestly thought there would have been a half dozen or more by now. Has everyone been standing in line all day and night waiting for Steve Forbes to dispense wisdom on hard money and to sign a book? 😀

Everyone just left my house. I’ll do one tomorrow.

But it’ll cost $10 to read.

Much appreciated!!!

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2023 10:23PM

The show at Paul's house was much better than the IMEX show.
    Most all dealers I talked to had something negative to say about it all.
    Took all of 2 hours to do the entire show.

Good side very little foot traffic to get in your way.

I heard a number of gripes about prices being high..... don't know much about that as I am selling now a days.

@Pnies20 said:

@NJCoin said:

Everyone just left my house. I’ll do one tomorrow.

But it’ll cost $10 to read.

Much appreciated!!!> @habaraca said:

The show at Paul's house was much better than the IMEX show.
    Most all dealers I talked to had something negative to say about it all.
    Took all of 2 hours to do the entire show.

Good side ever little foot traffic to get in your way.

I heard a number of gripes about prices being high..... don't know much about that as I am selling now a days.

Very sorry to hear this, but not totally shocked, based on nothing other than the lack of reports and all of the issues previously discussed.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2023 10:48PM

I’ll have a report in day or two. Show itself wasn’t that good but the city makes up for it. Ended up with a cool newp so totally worth it

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Project Numismatics said:
    I’m disappointed they decided to compete with the South Carolina SCNA show on the same weekend. SCNA is a great show and one of the few to host ANA educational courses outside of the ANA show itself.

I’m at the :smile:

https://usmex.org/

Great show

Knowledgeable speakers , auction houses showing upcoming lot viewing , very reasonable hotel affordability, plenty of things to do

And bonuses you would have to attend to experience.

Granted not a us coin show but still well run !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

I’m disappointed they decided to compete with the South Carolina SCNA show on the same weekend. SCNA is a great show and one of the few to host ANA educational courses outside of the ANA show itself.

Great show

Knowledgeable speakers , auction houses showing upcoming lot viewing , very reasonable hotel affordability, plenty of things to do

Being primarily interested in error coinage, how well represented are error coins in the foreign coin market at these shows? Thanks.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@bidask said:

Great show

Being primarily interested in error coinage, how well represented are error coins in the foreign coin market at these shows? Thanks.

There are a few error coins in auctions and in dealer cases yes .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file