Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WWF WWE legend The Iron Sheik passes

Passed away today.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the match where Hulk beat him and won the belt for the first time. 1984 I think. He lived a good long life for a wrestler, 81

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭

sad news indeed

memories of my childhood

RIP

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2023 8:20AM

@craig44 said:
    I remember the match where Hulk beat him and won the belt for the first time. 1984 I think. He lived a good long life for a wrestler, 81

That is correct. Bob Backlund was a former NCAA wrestling Champion and was the current WWF Champion. He refused to lose to an opponent that wasn't an accomplished, legit wrestler, and Hulk Hogan was not legit. The Sheik was an accomplished wrestler who worked with the US Olympic Team as an assistant coach so Backlund was okay with the Sheik beating him.

RIP - Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri - easily one of the greatest bad guys of all time. He liked to say he was the only bad guy that another really bad guy like Sgt. Slaughter could all of a sudden become a good guy if they had to face the Iron Shiek.

FYI Verne Gagne's Wife was credited with the name Iron Sheik, she came up with in while they ate dinner.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Just watched that documentary on A&E. , one of the greatest heels ever, He did live a harder life than most realize with cocaine and alcohol use , the murder of one of his daughters and finally divorce . Still WWE would not be where it is today without him . Rip Shiek .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2023 10:29AM

Gonna miss that jabronis twitter/fb posts

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

When his Daughter was murdered he smuggled a razor blade in his mouth into the courtroom to kill her boyfriend in front of everyone. His other Daughters talked him out of it once they got inside the courtroom and realized it.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Him and Nikolai Volkoff were the best tag team duo ever. With Nikolai singing the Russian National Anthem and The Iron Shiek shouting "IRAN # 1" there was not a better villian/ heel in all of wrestling. I remember I had to do a report on Iran in 7th grade history class around 1985ish and I drew a picture of the Iron Shiek as an Iranian wrestler in the report. The teacher told me he loved the picture. I got an "A".

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I think Amazon Prime has the documentary "The Sheik" that's really good. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3607812/

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

RIP.

My Dad traveled a ton and ran into all kinds of folks in airports. Saw the Sheik one time and grabbed an auto for me on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper:

Jim

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shiekh and Slaughter boot camp match still is an all time match...