Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looking for Gateway cachet collectors

dwills1955dwills1955 Posts: 30

I don't see anything on these forums. I collected back in the 1990s. Looking to thin my collection. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

What’s the backstory on that if you don’t mind sharing?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

A stamp company that produced limited edition covers of important sports moments and had them autographed by the player.
    Popular in 1990s, not as much now. True collectors are still in search for the scarcer releases.

https://gatewaystamp.com

Tough to resell on e-Bay, especially if not listed under proper heading. Sports collectors aren't into the stamp end of it.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Besides all of the ones featuring Garvey, I will pick them up sometimes for autographs, but have never cared much about the stamp aspect, as you noted.

Neat way to get legit autographs back in the day, except most were issued both signed and unsigned and there is nothing to "certify" the signed copies that I am aware of. The potential for fraud does exist with unsigned copies being signed (or forged) at a later time.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@Ahmanfan said:
    What’s the backstory on that if you don’t mind sharing?

It is a family owned and operated business. They eventually included CoAs with some of the signed cachets. They put out a monthly (mostly) newsletter. Was a great way for authentic autographs in the 90s and then the prices for signings went UP. I have some great ones from Ali and others.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

I agree that Gateway Stamp was very popular in the 1980's/90's....

As a an aside, I made my own cachets (patterned after Gateway) as Cal Ripken Jr. climbed up the consecutive game list

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.