Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just saying hello

I am new to the baseball collecting community.
My collection spans well over 150,000 cards. Many of them the "junk wax era" as I hear it called anyway. I've got cases and cases of cards all perfect mint condition.
Along with that I have a few thousand from the 1960's through the 1970's.
I hope I can help some of you guys and gals down the road with some cards. My intention is not to keep them all. It's time to thin things out. I need to do some research and learn more about what I have.
I look forward to reading your posts and participating.
Thank you

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey there 150K... :)

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Greetings.

You came to a great place.
    The only thing to watch out for are direct message scams. I received my first a couple of weeks ago which was because I posted something I wanted to buy in the Buy/Sell/Trade.

If you recently became a club member then you may want to hop onto this months special. You have 30 days before the items need to arrive after you complete the submission.

Another good forum is the Sports Talk forum.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings. Your pledge name is Aardvark.

Enjoy your time here as there a wealth of knowledge to gain from this fine group of collectors.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the warm welcome.
    Anyone else here from the Massachusetts area?
    I would like to find some shows to go to so I can sell of some of these cards. I've got over 50 boxes of 32,000 cards from the junk wax era plus several thousand from the 1960' thru 1970's and I really don't know what to do with all of them.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s a list of MA and RI shows: https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/collecting-101/show-calendar#massachusetts and https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/collecting-101/show-calendar#rhode-island. There’s a couple today.

Don’t know if this is close to you, but Cranston RI has a monthly show: https://www.facebook.com/groups/therhodycardshow/.

Jim

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! I'm in MA myself but I honestly can't recommend any local shows other than the big one in Wilmington that we usually get every year. http://gbsccconvention.com/

If you have your cards separated by year then I'd recommend making a list of the notable stars/rookies/errors/inserts from each year then pulling those cards aside. Maybe use an old Beckett or this site https://www.tcdb.com/ to help tell you what's worth putting aside and what isn't. Do the same with the vintage stuff but also look for common cards in high grade condition,there are plenty of collectors that build graded vintage sets.

Here's a Google search on tips on how to findout if your cards are valuable that also might help.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=what+are+the+best+tips+on+finding+out+if+my+sports+trading+cards+are+valuable?&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS953US953&ei=XqN8ZOb8Gvqt5NoPvKyosAI&ved=0ahUKEwjmo7-e7an_AhX6FlkFHTwWCiYQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=what+are+the+best+tips+on+finding+out+if+my+sports+trading+cards+are+valuable?&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzoECCEQCkoECEEYAFAAWJ8MYJ0kaABwAHgAgAHnBYgB-gySAQk3LjMtMS42LTGYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Once you start winnowing down your boxes for the good stuff,you could always post some pictures/scans here if you're thinking about grading before selling and would like some honest estimates as far as grades go. The guys here are pretty helpful in that regard.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always nice to see new collectors to our forum.

Welcome.

What's your first name?

On the "junk" card era - mint or not? IMO, unfortunately, there's not gonna be much demand.

Don't be a stranger.

Mike
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2023 4:03PM

My collection spans well over 150,000 cards. Many of them the "junk wax era" as I hear it called anyway. I've got cases and cases of cards all perfect mint condition.

From what I've seen here a very common opinion of those new here is all their cards are perfect, thus far no one has even been close to remotely correct.

PSA10 is a very difficult grade to obtain especially since Mid 2021. Even the most experienced in cherry picking their best fail to obtain the grade the majority of the time.

On Junk Wax most cards if not a PSA10 then the grading fees+shipping expenses will exceed selling amounts. There are outliers of course in which 9's will still yield more than a small amount profit compared to the grading fees. Still those are rare when it comes to Junk Wax.

Don't be fooled by bubble prices from March 2020 - April 2022 when many Junk Wax were commanding hundreds of dollars or more in PSA10. Most of those cards today are under $30 and still dropping. Many of them cost $50 during those years to get graded :)

Anyhow I do wish you best of luck.

P.S. I caution you to take your time and learn more deeply prior to selling. As Ben Franklin said "Haste makes Waste"

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome aboard!!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

Thank you guys for all the helpful information.
    I would like to add that when I say perfect I basically mean they have not been handled or sorted but are like new. I realize a perfect 10 is tough and I respect that very much.
    Here is a box with random 1982 thru 1991 that have not been gone through by me. So I will change my description to new condition.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@150K said150K
    Thank you guys for all the helpful information.
    I would like to add that when I say perfect I basically mean they have not been handled or sorted but are like new. I realize a perfect 10 is tough and I respect that very much.
    Here is a box with random 1982 thru 1991 that have not been gone through by me. So I will change my description to new condition.

hey 150K,
    that looks like one of my boxes... :)

I've got around 50 more boxes lol

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@150K said:
    I've got around 50 more boxes lol

We all do lol. But welcome to CU!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

I'm sure you do.
    I love baseball cards but we are getting ready to sell our house so I really need to thin out everything. When we move I want to travel light.
    I sure hope someone steps up. I'm trying to make selling these as attractive as possible. If I were 20 years younger I would just keep them but as I approach 60 it's time to thin the herd.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, I spend most of my time at the US Coin Forum but venture here on occasion to keep up on my other addiction.

Mark