Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Good buy or bad buy? 1992-93 bball topps stadium club members only set

I have been watching Jordan and Shaq 92/93 beam team card prices and had thought about investing in a PSA 10 or BGS 9.5 Jordan. I never found a Jordan near what I was willing to pay.

Full set prices, with COA and binder with the cards removed from the sealed set and placed in binder, have sold for $500+. Many are asking $1000+ but likely will never get it. I didn't look to see what the next lowest price on a sealed set is but none appeared to be listed below $1000.

I came across a full set, sealed in box, with COA and binder, all with original packaging for $1150. The binder is in perfect condition with all the empty pages. I made an offer of $625 expecting a counter offer, declined offer, or just completely ignored. Less than 20 minutes later the deal was accepted.

They made 12,000 sets. Plenty are still sealed I imagine but I wouldn't think a sealed one will fall hard as long as the Beam Team cards are still sought after. I would probably hate to know what the original purchase price of these sets were but it's been 30 years.

My friends think I'm crazy, my wife and kids know it, I just think I'm crazy lucky sometimes. Who knows, maybe this will end tragically with a logistics mishap, if not then I think this was a good purchase.

I am trying to put certain cards away for the kids to get when I pass and I am wondering if this should get tucked away with the rest?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

The risk is the cards sticking together. I have broken 6 of these sets in the past few years. About half of the sets had cards stuck together bad enough that there was some damage getting them apart. The other half came apart no problem with no damage and graded mostly 8's and 9's with a few 10's.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@johfr said:
    The risk is the cards sticking together. I have broken 6 of these sets in the past few years. About half of the sets had cards stuck together bad enough that there was some damage getting them apart. The other half came apart no problem with no damage and graded mostly 8's and 9's with a few 10's.

My thought was to leave it all sealed in the factory packaging and sit on it for a while. I always worry that shipping wax in the summer increases the odds of cards baking in a delivery vehicle and ending up with bricks.

Hopefully most of your beam team cards were able to be graded and you scored 9s and 10s on them.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Lets see some pics.

Brian

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see pics as well.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't years ago folks put these in the freezer to unstick the cards??

• Options

I realize the link will only be good for a period of time. My phone resizes the images and the images would be poor quality. The seller has other sets of other years for sale as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266282507711?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=od-CKbCmRsq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ae-eOCLFR9S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would crack and get them graded. It's a gamble but high reward if you can hit 10's The issue with breaking the box is the cards will be stuck together like a brick. The beam team cards are at the end of the box with the Shaq being the last card. I've cracked my share over the years and the best I ever received on the MJ and Shaq Beams were 9's I don't believe the Beam Teams suck together.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Didn't years ago folks put these in the freezer to unstick the cards??

I have heard that too. But I never tried it.

MJ and Shaq cards are cardboard gold!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I should receive it Friday or Saturday. If cracking multiple boxes received a best of 9 then I'm not sure about rolling the dice. I've never been one to keep something sealed but lately I've been questioning everything with a string of some bad luck. The main reason I'm not wanting to crack it is because it appears 100% complete with factory packaging which I like. However that seems like a dumb reason because nobody is collecting the packaging. Smh at myself.