Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dwight Evans Rookie Card

I am certainly happy I picked this card up for $200 in 2016….but is there a reason it seems to be going stratospheric? is the HOF speculation building for Evans now? Considering how non-existent his early support was that would be kind of embarrassing for the writers….

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen that type of behavior all over high grade 1970s commons the past ~18 months, and Evans, especially rookies, is far from a common. It's not at all unusual for me to see a common in 10 sell for 100-300% higher than it has before. Not sure what the pops are in 9 and 10 for Evans, or where this comes from.

Perhaps a side effect of the increased submission fees? (That is, no one is going to send in a 1976 Bernie Carbo at these new rates that isn't a slam dunk 10, so they have to pay more for one already slabbed a 10.) BTW, it's before my time period, but the last Carbo sold for $1242 compared to a previous high of $510. I wonder what it would go for today! I just picked this card at random, but now I'm wondering what my Bevacqua bubble gum contest card would go for today.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

Not sure what the pops are in 9 and 10 for Evans, or where this comes from.

82 9s and 8 10s

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 7:26PM

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 8:15PM

Dwight Evans came somewhat close to making the HOF In 2020, receiving 50% of the votes from the veteran's committee. That group of players won't be voted on again until 2025, and there's no absolutely guarantee that Evans will make the jump to 75%, but the card has taken a leap in value based on speculation. Personally, I think his chances of getting in in 2025 are less than 50% as the voters are likely to be different and he'll still be up against Parker, Garvey, Whitaker and some other big names.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭