Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Strange EBay Behavior

I’m experiencing some strange results trying to view a completed auction. Compare the following two listings:

When I click on this first completed listing, I get the usual completed auction, where I can still view the images, look at auction details, etc…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385518988883

But when I click on this completed listing, all I get is a listing for a similar item, with no way to view the original auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256090673547

I also notice that when I click this one, the URL is automatically changed to incorporate the similar item’s info.

Question 1: do other people experience this the same way?
Question 2: why is this happening??

Comments

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I click on the 2nd link I see the completed item. Both are showing similar info.

Sold for $250

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 2:41PM

I had a feeling that would be the case. I think it is because I bought the item. But I am not logged into eBay, so it must be some kind of cookie. I am trying to clear my cache to see if that helps.

If you bought something recently, could you try viewing the completed auction? Just curious if the same thing will happen.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked at a recently purchased item and it looks the same format as what I posted above. I agree, try clearing any temp files. I use the app almost exclusively, so maybe that makes a difference.

Weird…I cleared the cache and now when I search for the item and click on it, it is back to normal. But if I click on the link above, it still gives the similar item only. 😜

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭

When I click the 2nd ,I get something similar. When I click the first one, I get a something similar but a totally different card. Mike Andrews. When I search sold items using the exact title of yours, it says no exact matches. It's wacky.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

Paul the same exact thing is happening to me with completed items. Ebay has been incredibly temperamental for me anyway during the last several months. Also not a fan of the picture zooming feature in their new listing format.

• CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

But when I click on this completed listing, all I get is a listing for a similar item, with no way to view the original auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256090673547

To view the original auction after clicking the 2nd link you provided, I needed to click in the picture (see circled area below) to get to the original auction. I am on a PC using Firefox, not mobile. Do you see that in your browser? If not, well... I got nothin'. :)

edited June 2, 2023 4:13PM

@CW

I do see exactly that, but when I clicked on the circled picture, it was bringing me right back to that same page. Since I cleared the cache, now when I click on that picture it does take me to the original auction. Thanks!

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Same behavior. Ebay is annoyingly inconsistent with lots of software bugs. If anyone saw a post I made months ago about an auction where searching "warren spahn lot" was not including my auction which had those exact words along with a few more. Ebay customer service validated the issue with me live on the phone and they didn't have any resolution. The app and the website do not work the same and I wonder how much I may be missing by exclusively using the app.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think eBay was having some glitches at the time. I opened a listing and I had to complete one of those stupid visual tests to prove I'm not a robot just to read the item description of the listing I just opened. I got frustrated after it did this to me again on another listing. I gave up looking at listings for the day. It seems fine now.