Home U.S. Coin Forum

A question for ebay sellers.

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed lately that when searching on ebay for a specific 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent that only the 1804 Half Cents are listed, with the exception of many, many 1807's to the tune of several per page and all by various sellers, not the same one. How does this occur. Only the 1807's are listed, no other non 1804 dates? I know in the old days there were many ways of editing your listings with many different words to bring them to the forefront for search engines, but how and why does only 1807's invade the 1804 search?
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popped up on my search

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s my search. Seems to be working. Try again buddy 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my results. Out of 835 searches using 1804 draped bust half cent, I had over 50+ 1807
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2023 4:11AM

I'm guessing that you're searching "1804 draped bust half cent", not "1804 half cent". If so, change your search to "1804 half cent".
    I don't know why, but when I included "draped bust" in the search, it yielded examples dated 1804 and 1807.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2023 4:45AM

Here’s mine and draped bust is included. Interesting 🧐
    I’m on my old iPhone 7 so nothing fancy

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t question the algorithm :#

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that it has something to do with which browser is used on what device.

I did the O/P search and came up with only 1804s and 1807s, also. I'm using Google Chrome on a laptop.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I'm guessing that you're searching "1804 draped bust half cent", not "1804 half cent". If so, change your search to "1804 half cent".
    I don't know why, but when I included "draped bust" in the search, it yielded examples dated 1804 and 1807.

I'm using edge on a PC. Yes, Mark, upon switching from draped bust to just half cent, you are correct, the search dropped from 813 to 658 and missing were the 1807's. Weird. Just for fun, I did the same for 1803 and with draped bust it yielded 158 searches with only 1 errant 1804 and with half cent no errant entries. Curious. I will remember that, thanks Mark.
    Jim

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

I had a weird thing for about a week with the eBay app. I have about 20 saved searches for various dates in the Mercury dime series.

For roughly a week, the searches for 1925-S and 1927-D dimes also brought up listings for Lincoln cents of the same date and mint. All the other searches were unaffected.

Maybe two days ago, everything went back to normal.

All of which is to say: Who knows? Sometimes things get strange for a while when eBay starts tweaking things.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file