Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

"Problem" coins... to grade or not to grade and where?

So still sorting thru this massive collection and really learning a lot. It's been enjoyable as well as educational. I think what I've learned most is that I basically have everything yet to learn when it comes to world coinage.

So I've just pulled a couple examples of what I've come to ask.
1934 China Junk Dollar - long scratch on reverse right side
1793-L France 1 ECU - huge "gash" above wings on reverse
1908 Mexico 20 Centavos - gold looking discoloration, possibly from cleaning years ago

So while not super high $$, they are some better than average coins in this collection. Over 10k coins in 2x2s basically all dated before 1970 and many going back to the 1700-1800's. Of course, a ton of stuff with little to no value. I can work all of that over time. Is it really worth sending these type of coins in? I know there were many counterfeits of the Junk dollars but I'm sure this one is real.
And, if I'm to send for certification, do world coins to better with PCGS or NGC? I've never subbed anything other than US and have always used PCGS. US paper money I have used PMG.

As always, any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Tim

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO you get more bang for your buck with PCGS.

The other service has started nickel and dime-ing everything. (Medals, oh that’s $5 more. Varieties or errors, another $18. Decent photos, give us another $8.)

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly I would not grade/slab any of the ones you have shown here .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    IMHO you get more bang for your buck with PCGS.

The other service has started nickel and dime-ing everything. (Medals, oh that’s $5 more. Varieties or errors, another $18. Decent photos, give us another $8.)

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not submit the coins above as the submission cost likely outweighs any potential gain in value.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay solds seem to indicated that Junk dollars in AU details holders sell for more than raw AU details coins, enough to justify the grading cost. This might be because there is a perceived value in the authentication due to the prevalence of fakes. The other two probably aren't worth sending in.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• BjornBjorn Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Just was going to add - the Junk dollar would likely go for more slabbed, even if it gets detailed grade. It reassures buyers that it is a mint issue and not a counterfeit, and even in AU details these can go for a bit of money. I wouldn't bother submitting the other two.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I could have added pics of the obverses. Just researching, the Junk dollar is actually a 1934 and was mislabeled years ago.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all for the comments and advice. I'm really out of my realm with this foreign coinage.
    I agree with above comments that the Junk dollar seems to go for a bit more when graded but not so much with the others. In general, it looks like most average grade or fairly common world coinage sells for near the same as raw. Is that the general consensus of from you more experienced collectors?

I see high grade/rare coins will bring more, but the kind of stuff I'm finding does not fall into that category, unfortunately. The only very high grade stuff I'm running across is from say 1940 and later and still, in MS 66, 67, etc, it sometimes doesn't justify the cost of grading.

On a side note, I happened thru another shelving unit of GB coins and ran across a 1693 1 Shilling William & Mary. Too bad it has a hole in it, lol. Oh well, the hunt continues. I still have probably 5-6k coins to go thru and I can't complain as there are a lot of coins with silver so there is at least that value.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Thanks all for the comments and advice. I'm really out of my realm with this foreign coinage.
    I agree with above comments that the Junk dollar seems to go for a bit more when graded but not so much with the others. In general, it looks like most average grade or fairly common world coinage sells for near the same as raw. Is that the general consensus of from you more experienced collectors?

TPG grading is not preferred by most collectors outside the US.

Look at the TPG population data. The only countries with a clear TPG preference are China and South Africa. Maybe Canada too but I haven't looked at ICSS so don't know the number graded or their market share. Also some preference for specific coins or series in isolation. Most grading of other world coins is either done by US based sellers or for US based buyers.