Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mickey mantle ball

Hi, I’m new here. My grandma gave me this ball, said she got it from a friend who owned a car dealership in oakcliff texas. I recently posted on Reddit, is this really worth getting PSA graded? I also need to get a Uv protection case thing and not touch the ball just the laces.

Just looking for some advice.
Here is my collection for proof I’m a real human person
https://www.tcdb.com/Collection.cfm/member/Goldsounds/collection/1

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

Assuming the signature is real (and I'm offering no opinion one way or the other) it's not particularly desirable IMO, due to the personalization, even if your name is Nell. Others will chime in but getting some authentication for it will net you the most of whatever it's worth -- if they verify it.

I would venture to say it's genuine, as the sig looks good, but moreso due to the personalization, which is consistent with the sig and not something I'd expect a forger to add (as it lessens potential value.) Good luck! :-)

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 3:55PM

Please be aware that due to condition and the personalization the cost of 2-way shipping + authentication + grading might be near what you would actually make from selling it .

If you do decide to get it done think about doing authentication only.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Ok great! Good advice!

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Nice item… even if you only authenticate it for your own piece of mind…. thanks for sharing!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Get a picture of Neil, or Nell, along with a picture of Mick, and write something brief that explains their relationship. I think a personalized signature is worth something if the person has a unique connection. Such as an agent, a celebrity, a family member, maybe a car dealer who sold them a car they may be depicted in. I think some people will pay for a good, legit, story.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jolly, respectfully how would the OP get that? Mick's been dead for close to 30 years.

To the OP, has the second l in Nell been marked over, why is it so bold?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

To Cakes, I imagine Mick mistakenly heard "Neil" and that was corrected to "Nell" -- which honestly does make the presentation kinda fugly, not that I care for personalizations in any case. Sorry OP, that is not a rag on your item (obviously it's not for me) BUT, on the positive side of the ledger, I do think all these factors make it likely your item is legit. :smile:

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if something like this could be sent to a service like "gonewiththestain" to have "to neil" removed? PSA would certainly authenticate the signature afterward.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya know?

I think it's real.

If so? It's "still" The Mick and worth displaying in a PC.

There are 2 areas that appear to have "trace overs?" Still for a PC no problem. There was a time when Mickey Mantle thought about Nell when signing his name. Family history?

Mike

At secretstash, very likely the personalization can be removed, but usually I'd expect there to be traces/evidence of it; and it would be described as such -- overall might be a better presentation, but not as good as if it had never been there to begin with.

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I am no expert, but it looks good to me. I would take the ball apart and use the signature to have a custom card made.

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Maybe a relative of the person it was signed for would be interested in buying it.