Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Top Pop discussion revisited

I collect one set of coins in AU58, and Everyman Set. After I have purchased a coin it sometimes will state that the coin is a Top Pop for that grade. This has been a nice bonus when I add the coin to my inventory or sets. I've asked PCGS how I can know BEFORE I bid, or buy, a coin if it is a Top Pop graded coin. PCGS was less than helpful except they did tell me that there can be many Top Pop coins of the same grade, like AU58. What I really wanted to understand is how I can review a certified coin and see if it is a Top Pop cert before I buy. Anyone have more info?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭

Verify the coin here: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/
    Check the pop reports here: https://www.pcgs.com/pop

• Options
    skamienieckiskamieniecki Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Looking at both I guess I don't see where the cert is stated to be the Top Pop of the grade. Pop report states 911 graded as AU58. Thanks.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki said:
    Looking at both I guess I don't see where the cert is stated to be the Top Pop of the grade. Pop report states 911 graded as AU58. Thanks.

A coin would only truly be THE “top pop for the grade” if the population were 1. If the pop were 2 or more, it would be tied for top pop. If the pop is 911, your coin would be tied with 910 others for top pop.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your AU58 is Top Pop for Everyman if there are no AU58+ for that particular coin. The cert. should state how many higher..if zero then you have a Top Pop...it becomes much more complicated with copper coins. When you are trying to figure out if the sole coin in Red is MS63 and you are looking at a MS66 Brown. I believe Red trumps Brown no matter the numerical designation.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also plug in the cert# to "What If" in the set registry app (or the normal website but it looks a little different) to see the results on your set.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

A side issue where you have two or more coins grade 58 is when they were graded. Years ago a 58 coin was a very nice coin that would have graded 64 or higher minus some rub or luster break. Today a 58 count could be a 62 (many distracting marks) minus some run or luster breaks. The same may be true in other situations where the grading standards have shifted.

That a question for the OP. When you compare your 58 coins do you see situations where the quality of the 58 coins is different?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:
    A side issue where you have two or more coins grade 58 is when they were graded. Years ago a 58 coin was a very nice coin that would have graded 64 or higher minus some rub or luster break. Today a 58 count could be a 62 (many distracting marks) minus some run or luster breaks. The same may be true in other situations where the grading standards have shifted.

That a question for the OP. When you compare your 58 coins do you see situations where the quality of the 58 coins is different?

You’ve seriously cracked au58 coins in old holders and had them regrade as ms64s? I can see this possibly happening with 1 or 2 coins, but this is definitely not the norm. Way too big of a condition difference to mistakenly grade coins this erroneously. There would be so many gold cac stickers in existence.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@skamieniecki said:

A coin would only truly be THE “top pop for the grade” if the population were 1. If the pop were 2 or more, it would be tied for top pop. If the pop is 911, your coin would be tied with 910 others for top pop.

So how about only "one" coin graded in the entire grade listing, (one coin, one grade). It seems something like that could be a super pop.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 9:29AM

@OAKSTAR said:

@MFeld said:

@skamieniecki said:

So how about only "one" coin graded in the entire grade listing, (one coin, one grade). It seems something like that could be a super pop.

Or just a very inexpensive coin that's not worth submitting.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point @jmlanzaf.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 12:26PM

I use TPG verify or cf check pop. I buy top pop world slabbed issues all the time. Then enter that as note during auc bidding process. I like top pop world slabbed coins - jus picked up another top pop slabbed early 20th century world silver MS65 coin for $44 (online auc). Pop 1/0.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file