Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Memorial Day - post your favorite card honoring a Veteran

1959 Fleer Ted Williams Greatest
Ted Williams Wins his Wings is my favorite.

I'm sure there are plenty I am unaware of. Which is your favorite and do you own it? I have had many Ted Williams Greatest but never the one I mentioned.

Comments

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 7:18PM

Detroit Tigers first baseman Hank Greenberg enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1940 as war loomed and re-enlisted after Pearl Harbor. He missed 4 1/2 years of his playing career while serving in the military.

In the fall of 1940 the United States instituted its first peacetime draft. The 29-year old Greenberg figured the U.S. would join in with the allies soon and he wanted to do his part. On October 16, 1940, just eight days after he and the Tigers lost Game Seven of the World Series to the Cincinnati Reds, Hank registered for the draft, the first professional baseball player to do so. The following spring he was classified 4F due to flat feet by the Detroit draft board, but he insisted on being re-examined. In April the draft board reclassified Greenberg and a month later he was inducted into the Army. The U.S. had yet to enter the war, but Hank was committed to doing his part; ”I made up my mind to go when I was called. My country comes first.”

Hank trained as a tank gunner that spring and summer and he only appeared in 19 games for Detroit. Still, there was no telling when the U.S. might actively enter the war, and since he was 30 years old (Congress decreed that any man over 28 would not be drafted), he was discharged on December 5. Two days later the Japanese hastened the U.S. entry into the war when they attacked Pearl Harbor. Seven weeks later Greenberg re-enlisted in the Army, he stayed in the uniform of the United States military for the next three and a half years. In all, Greenberg served 47 months in the service during World War II, the longest tenure of any ballplayer.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:18PM

dupe

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:19PM

September 12, 1942 – Norfolk, Virginia: Shortstop Phil Rizzuto of New York Yanks, shown taking the oath given by Lieutenant Commander John Quincy Adams at Norfolk, Virginia, has enlisted in the Navy. He rejoined the club at Chicago announcing that he will report October 13 as a seaman first class (Chevrons and Diamonds Collection).

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:19PM

My favorite Mathewson is the T206 Hand in glove

Mathewson served in the United States Army's Chemical Warfare Service in World War I, and was accidentally exposed to chemical weapons during training. His respiratory system was weakened from the exposure, causing him to contract tuberculosis, from which he died in 1925.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

More from that 59 Fleer set. I have the complete set.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    More from that 59 Fleer set. I have the complete set.

hey DBesse27,
    Pretty Cool... :)

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Not bashing the thread, however I'll mention it in case anyone is completely unaware, because some are. Veterans Day is the day to honor any and all veterans of military service, where as Memorial Day is to honor those who served, but didn't return home after that service (died while in service). All of those players mentioned above not only survived their service, but continued to play ball after.

That is not to say that you can't mention Veterans on Memorial Day, but just know it's two different concepts.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    Not bashing the thread, however I'll mention it in case anyone is completely unaware, because some are. Veterans Day is the day to honor any and all veterans of military service, where as Memorial Day is to honor those who served, but didn't return home after that service (died while in service). All of those players mentioned above not only survived their service, but continued to play ball after.

That is not to say that you can't mention Veterans on Memorial Day, but just know it's two different concepts.

hey mrmopar,
    my mom was saying that to me yesterday... :)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an individual card, but the 1997 bowmans best international refractors for US born players display an American Flag in the background.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Thank you for clarifying the holiday. I've always highlighted Veterans on the day as well since many of them lost friends in active duty during conflicts. My wife thought my post would be confusing.

I imagine there were ball players who died while serving and maybe never got a card even.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

I wish we could have a combat Veterans day too.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

No one should have a "Happy " Memorial Day. But rather a great memory day.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stan Musial in the Navy

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alfonz, Those are cool pics, ty! In the first pic most of them look right around 18.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.