Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hand Cutting - Swedish Rekord Journal

I'm planning on submitting these hand-cut boxing cards to PSA. I havent cut these myself - as I don't have a great deal of experience -; but a question for those with experience grading hand-cut cards: would these be all right to submit as they are? Or would they require further trimming?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any graded examples on eBay?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Here’s one I cut and submitted

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options

@BartAllen2 said:
    I'm planning on submitting these hand-cut boxing cards to PSA. I havent cut these myself - as I don't have a great deal of experience -; but a question for those with experience grading hand-cut cards: would these be all right to submit as they are? Or would they require further trimming?

Thanks!

There's a lot of extra border on yours, but they look nicely cut. If you're not experienced with cutting cards, you might be better off submitting as is.
    The worst that could happen is PSA says they're too big.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be careful cutting inside the lines. It may make it authentic only.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 10:05PM

@JoeBanzai said:

I saw this on PSA. Only got a Good2.
    Cut looks a little wavy.

And here's a PSA10

And a PSA6 with a lot of border (wavy top cut?)

• Options
    BartAllen2BartAllen2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

• Options

@BartAllen2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

It's crazy. I'm not seeing much difference between the 3, 5, and 10.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@BartAllen2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

The thin paper stuff is always all over the board imo, I sent in this Killebrew, thought it was going to grade an 8 or so.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@BartAllen2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

It's actually laughable that a card with extra "border" will grade lower than one trimmed right up to the edge, since the card itself is unaffected in both cases. Yet another reason for me personally that makes graded cards unappealing. I just prefer my cards as they were issued. Personal taste, to each their own.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@RonSportscards said:

@BartAllen2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

The thin paper stuff is always all over the board imo, I sent in this Killebrew, thought it was going to grade an 8 or so.

Is that cut from a newspaper?
    Total speculation, but possibly took a grade hit on the yellowing.
    Did the paper start off closer to this? (Photoshopped)

And the print seems a little faded/weak. Maybe if it had been a little bolder? (Photoshopped)
    And it seems there was some uneven staining, not easily seen from the original.

Is this one you cut yourself?
    Were there lines to follow and was the cut inside the lines?
    The cut looks good and it's a nice oddball piece. Can't be too many around.

• Options

@mrmopar said:

@RonSportscards said:

@BartAllen2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

It's actually laughable that a card with extra "border" will grade lower than one trimmed right up to the edge, since the card itself is unaffected in both cases. Yet another reason for me personally that makes graded cards unappealing. I just prefer my cards as they were issued. Personal taste, to each their own.

I have mixed feelings about it. I do feel the cut should be at least straight and symmetrical, but at the same time, the card is just as intact and whole, even if one was to rip the page/box/etc. outside the card lines.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2023 1:53PM

@RonSportscards said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@RonSportscards said:

@BartAllen2 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Is that cut from a newspaper?
    Total speculation, but possibly took a grade hit on the yellowing.
    Did the paper start off closer to this? (Photoshopped)

And the print seems a little faded/weak. Maybe if it had been a little bolder? (Photoshopped)
    And it seems there was some uneven staining, not easily seen from the original.

Is this one you cut yourself?
    Were there lines to follow and was the cut inside the lines?
    The cut looks good and it's a nice oddball piece. Can't be too many around.

Not many around for sure.

Yes, from a newspaper.

I had a crappy looking one that was a PSA "3" and I saw this one on eBay with extra border all the way around, so I grabbed it.

It has defined borders that show all the way around and I did a good job cutting it. Sorry about the poor picture.

I am assuming it got the low grade because of the yellowing, it didn't appear to have any creases.
    I was really thinking it would grade MUCH higher.
    Oh well.

• Options

The PSA rule is completely arbitrary and nonsensical. They grade miscut cards from the factory, so why not just apply a lower grade?" And you are right on point, if the card is cut precisely at the border it should grade higher than someone cutting out an extra border. I too have significantly cut down on card grading. These companies arbitrarily change their grading standards and "rules," seems like getting a very coveted card graded is risky long term. An impending sale is the only thing that will get me to take the plunge.

Here is a great example: The attached two cards were owned by me and sold over the Heritage Auctions platform. One is suspected by me of being hand cut from an uncut sheet. The other was personally submitted to BGS 2002 after I purchased an unopened box of 1975 O-Pee-Chee Beckett's offices are close to my house, thus no postage either way and no anxiety about lost package. Also, Beckett as clearly the most diligent and consistent grading company of all of them at the time. How times have changed.

So, which one is which?

• Options

Here are the backs

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Brooks is sheet cut

Brian