Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Mildly interesting Serial Numbers or no big whoop at all?

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really do currency or know it well.
Ended up with a fresh pack of $2's and decided to take a look through them...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like $2 notes. Everyone that gets a birthday card from me gets one.
    The OP’s notes have interesting serial numbers but nothing officially fancy, and the centering is so-so. If you like ‘em, keep ‘em.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 9:39AM

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    I like $2 notes. Everyone that gets a birthday card from me gets one.
    The OP’s notes have interesting serial numbers but nothing officially fancy, and the centering is so-so. If you like ‘em, keep ‘em.

+1
    "No big whoop" but as Steve notes, "if you like em, keep em."

When I started out squirrelling away a crumpled note here & there (with no catalogue/ no knowledge whether the note was a change-over, etc) I accumulated a small hoard until I started checking catalogues (asking others what they keep etc) & then I used many of my old notes to buy better (more collectible) ones. I used 40 year old circulated rags to buy 20 year old newer series that were tough & far more "collectible." I mean after chatting with some dealers/collectors, reading the catalogues, it doesn't take long to know what most collectors are after.

At least your TWO's are in good shape (the #'s may be no big deal but they're pretty crisp). I also started keeping newer (closer to UNC) series notes (blindly) & most of these were also used to buy collectible notes (after I opened a Charlton at our local library). You could try the same strategy (get better informed) if you begin "to do currency" & learn to do it well (or if you like the hobby) exchange some of them for better ones.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun to look at.

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

I like it and would think it worthy of grading and encapsulating.

Then again, like error notes, I am not sure of the huge price valuations that rare numbers may have