Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

VaultBox Series 2 Coins Selling On Great Collections This Weekend!

WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it or hate it VaultBox coins are selling on GC this weekend!

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poof in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

WWV. In this corner…

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2023 10:49AM

World war 5? 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    WWV. In this corner…

I missed 3&4. Must of been napping 😁😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

I would have been more excited about Super set #3. 3-Gold American Eagles. At the end of the day, it is 3 oz. of silver versus 3 oz of gold. Not to say I would not mind owning the 1995-W Eagle, just not in my price range

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

This was posted on a Saturday morning so it would get removed before the sale.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    Graded bullion. Not impressed at all.

That's how I feel about Morgan dollars and $20 Saints: graded pocket change.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

It’s really unfortunate some collectors talk down on people collecting NCLT. After all, all classic proof coins are essentially NCLT. Obviously some of them DID circulate, but they were not created to circulate. Same with patterns. Right?

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeLewis said:
    It’s really unfortunate some collectors talk down on people collecting NCLT. After all, all classic proof coins are essentially NCLT. Obviously some of them DID circulate, but they were not created to circulate. Same with patterns. Right?

I haven’t seen a single person say that.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2023 1:34PM

@DCW said:
    Poof in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... :D

Sorry DCW, the only numbers Vaultbox apparently understands is 9 and 10. 🤣. It’s almost as if SGS went mainstream with predominantly 10 and 9.9 grades.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 1:36PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

For the Uber common dates in lower grades that are blast white or heavily bagmarked, I concur the pieces are bullion pieces. But alas at least those can be “saved” by CAC. 😈 Will CAC sticker or cross these?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeLewis said:

It is unfortunate, but comparing modern NCLT coins to classic Proofs seems like a large stretch.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

To borrow from Capital One: Joe what’s in your wallet?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

Obviously, circulated Morgan’s and Saints. Those who are next in line love it when he empties his (loaded) pockets into Coinstar machines.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Sorry guys. I guess I’m making something out of nothing.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

A debit card.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@JoeLewis said:

It is unfortunate, but comparing modern NCLT coins to classic Proofs seems like a large stretch.

I haven’t seen anyone disparage NCLT. I have seen disparagement of certain TPG labels for NCLT and marketing methods of certain sellers and I think some of that criticism is well placed.

• Options

@Project Numismatics said:

@MFeld said:

@JoeLewis said:

I haven’t seen anyone disparage NCLT. I have seen disparagement of certain TPG labels for NCLT and marketing methods of certain sellers and I think some of that criticism is well placed.

I’m afraid 😉to revisit the previous threads and hope you’re right.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@JoeLewis said:

“Graded bullion. Not impressed at all”

“At the end of the day it’s just 3 oz. of silver.”

That’s just in this thread so far!

Surely, you are aware of the many comments from forum members saying things like this, right?

To people who like to collect these and get them graded as “collectible coins”, comments like these are a put down.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 3:54PM

@JoeLewis said:

@MFeld said:

@JoeLewis said:

“Graded bullion. Not impressed at all”

“At the end of the day it’s just 3 oz. of silver.”

That’s just in this thread so far!

Surely, you are aware of the many comments from forum members saying things like this, right?

To people who like to collect these and get them graded as “collectible coins”, comments like these are a put down.

Totally agree.

A lot of NCLT is quite scarce. It's pretty and if I want to collect it, I shouldn't be made to feel like there's something wrong with it.

Aren't GSA Morgan dollars NCLT?

• Options

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

Obviously, circulated Morgan’s and Saints. Those who are next in line love it when he empties his (loaded) pockets into Coinstar machines.😉

Not any more... but in a previous life. Lol.

But, setting my sarcasm aside, what makes Grandpa's pocket change more collectible than "bullion"?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

But, setting my sarcasm aside, what makes Grandpa's pocket change more collectible than "bullion"?

The same reason antique furniture at an antique store sells for more than the used furniture at Good Will.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

The same reason antique furniture at an antique store sells for more than the used furniture at Good Will.

Will you clarify what you mean by that? Are you saying that value and collectibility are the same thing, or that value determines whether something is more or less collectible than something else?

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 6:57PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

So, you also don't think modern coins are worth collecting? That should upset a few more people. The good news is that old bullion is now collectible.

Modern art collectors probably have a problem with you, though.

Boy, you've pissed off more people in one post than I have in 6 years... congratulations.

But what do I make of the fact that NEW furniture at Neiman-Marcus sells for more than your antique furniture?

If I take the used furniture from Goodwill to the antique store is it automatically worth more?

Collecting is so complicated in your world.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 6:53PM

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

Will you clarify what you mean by that? Are you saying that value and collectibility are the same thing, or that value determines whether something is more or less collectible than something else?

No, he's saying that if it isn't old, it isn't collectible. So, we can just take our moderns and find a new home.

• Options

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

Sorry; I tend to get in trouble when writing by analogy/metaphor. My post is not to suggest as @jmanzalaf that bullion is not collectible. (People collect Franklin Mint sterling silver medals as a notable example). It is just that the older coins have everything going for them that modern ones do plus the historical value which adds to allure and desirability for many. Put another way, many are more willing to find those collectible than modern bullion pieces with little to no history and that are a dime a dozen in PF/MS69 and sometimes PF/MS70.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

Sorry; I tend to get in trouble when writing by analogy/metaphor. My post is not to suggest as @jmanzalaf that bullion is not collectible. (People collect Franklin Mint sterling silver medals as a notable example). It is just that the older coins have everything going for them that modern ones do plus the historical value which adds to allure and desirability for many. Put another way, many are more willing to find those collectible than modern bullion pieces with little to no history and that are a dime a dozen in PF/MS69 and sometimes PF/MS70.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post. But the argument was over prior posters who declared modern bullion as essentially not collectible.

Personally, if someone wants to collect nothing but modern washing machine coins, I think they should be welcomed to the numismatic community.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

The famous New England sign: "We buy junk, we sell antiques"

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

I am happy to see a veteran score some valuable coins and use them to pay for his wedding! 😎🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Fitting the auction is taking place on Memorial Day weekend!😉

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 7:21PM

When it comes to the selling of these Vault Boxes:

Don’t ask a clown why he’s being a clown. Blame the people attending the circus.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another of the frequent contentious discussions about what is or isn't the "correct", "worthy", "proper" or "right" way to collect.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

The historical part for me is huge. But, I also collect modern stuff too. The most fun I’ve ever had assembling a collection is the Chuck E. Cheese tokens! Nobody had ever fully catalogued all of them, so I had a great time researching.

You might be surprised what percentage of the coin collecting community is collecting modern NCLT. It’s definitely not a small minority. The price of most older U.S. coins (especially in the last 5 years or so) prohibits many collectors from collecting those.

All I really brought up here was that it’s a shame some collectors feel the need to put down modern NCLT every time it is posted. I was perplexed that @Project Numismatics had never heard a single person do that when two people right above him did in this very thread. It’s pretty common here on this forum.

• Options

@braddick said:
    When it comes to NGC-X selling these Vault Boxes:

Don’t ask a clown why he’s being a clown. Blame the people attending the circus.

NGC is not the seller. NGC created the new grading scale. That's separate from the VaultBox sales from Minishull Trading. Supposedly all NGC did was grade the coins. An undisclosed 3rd party did the packaging.

-----Burton
  • Options

@JoeLewis said:
    The historical part for me is huge. But, I also collect modern stuff too. The most fun I’ve ever had assembling a collection is the Chuck E. Cheese tokens! Nobody had ever fully catalogued all of them, so I had a great time researching.

Difference between a numismatist, and a collector...

-----Burton
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2023 11:18AM

@BStrauss3 said:
    Supposedly all NGC did was grade the coins. An undisclosed 3rd party did the packaging.

And this is the key distinction. What makes the VB packaging special? Many notable coins have had special labels yet the mark up and gimmicky marketing isn’t anywhere close to this.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2023 12:40PM

@braddick said:

They are not "selling" VaultBoxes any more than our hosts are selling limited edition, First Strike, FDOI Advance Release, whatever bullion on TV. Their customers are. The TPGs are merely feeding a market.

I agree with your point about clowns and circuses, but the TPGs really are only doing what they were created to do -- supply product into a market, and NGC is no more or less culpable than any of them, since they are all more than happy to take cash from the mass marketers in return for exclusive labels.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2023 12:45PM

@BStrauss3 said:

@braddick said:

NGC is not the seller. NGC created the new grading scale. That's separate from the VaultBox sales from Minishull Trading. Supposedly all NGC did was grade the coins. An undisclosed 3rd party did the packaging.

I thought NGC did the packaging as well. If not, the presence of NGC seals on the boxes is a misleading scam.

I take it on faith that they are doing what they claim to be doing with respect to packaging. The breakdown occurs in the identification of what is in the sealed boxes (supposedly totally random and unknown to Minshull), and how distribution is handled.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@BStrauss3 said:
    Supposedly all NGC did was grade the coins. An undisclosed 3rd party did the packaging.

And this is the key distinction. What makes the VB packaging special? Many notable coins have had special labels yet the mark up and gimmicky marketing isn’t anywhere close to this.

You know the answer to that question. It's not the label. It's the lottery ticket.

• Options

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

You might be surprised what percentage of the coin collecting community is collecting modern NCLT. It’s definitely not a small minority. The price of most older U.S. coins (especially in the last 5 years or so) prohibits many collectors from collecting those.

All I really brought up here was that it’s a shame some collectors feel the need to put down modern NCLT every time it is posted. I was perplexed that @Project Numismatics had never heard a single person do that when two people right above him did in this very thread. It’s pretty common here on this forum.

Well you did take one quote completely out of context - take another read - the poster goes on to say he wouldn’t mind owning a 1995-W and likes gold bullion.

The other quote seemed to take issue with graded bullion, not all NCLT.

Just to be clear, I collect a number of different moderns and enjoy them quite a bit. It’s not for everyone and I don’t feel offended by the comments on this forum.

This is also a VB thread - you shouldn’t extrapolate to all NCLT - VB has stirred a lot of strong opinions.

• Options

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@JoeLewis said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

Well you took one quote completely out of context - the poster goes on to say he likes gold bullion and wouldn’t mind owning a 1995-W.

The second poster disparages graded bullion, not all NCLT or non-graded bullion.

I collect a variety of moderns and am not offended by the comments on this forum.

This is a VB thread - don’t read too much into it or over extrapolate to other areas.

• Options

Two hours, 11 minutes to go!

• Options

@braddick said:

NGCX does NOT sell Vault Boxes. Please retract your misinformation.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@braddick said:

NGCX does NOT sell Vault Boxes. Please retract your misinformation.

If you want to be pedantic about it, NGC is the company, NGCX is a grading scale used by NGC.

-----Burton
  • Options

The "king" (1995W ASE) ended at $18,033.75 with Buyer's Fee or almost $2,000 **below ** the NGC price guide of $20,000.

Momma Bear, 1995 MS70 ended at $1,518.75 with Buyer's Fee vs. price guide of $1,350

And Baby Bear, the 1995P PF70UC ended at $1,040.62 with Buyer's Fee vs. price guide of $465.

-----Burton
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it’s gonna depend on how many of these vault box 1995-w eagles eventually are “made”, but it is an intriguing unique label that I think went somewhat cheap. Going rate on these from dealers was closer to $19,000-$20,000, so whoever bought this at $18,000 didn’t get a bad deal in this market.

• Options

Show is over folks....we are now returning to our regularly scheduled program😂🤣