Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Rubles.

Asked a friend of Russian descent if he had any Russian coins. He handed me the note to keep.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting tale about that note, but the Bolshoi theatre is on the reverse. However, it is the front of the note that caused a bit of a stir back when it was issued due to the statue of Apollo portrayed and what it portrays - a certain part of the male anatomy - which offended some and was called into question with the arcane anti-obscenity laws in Russia. In effect a group of parliamentarians wanted to make this note issue illegal and have them all called in and destroyed because in Russia there are no such more pressing matters! Crazily enough for Russia the furor all died down and the note continued in circulation.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Interesting tale about that note, but the Bolshoi theatre is on the reverse. However, it is the front of the note that caused a bit of a stir back when it was issued due to the statue of Apollo portrayed and what it portrays - a certain part of the male anatomy - which offended some and was called into question with the arcane anti-obscenity laws in Russia. In effect a group of parliamentarians wanted to make this note issue illegal and have them all called in and destroyed because in Russia there are no such more pressing matters! Crazily enough for Russia the furor all died down and the note continued in circulation.

Thank you for the history of this note. That is quite interesting indeed. I had no idea what all the furor was behind this note nor do I think my Russian friend did either.
    I was admiring the 4 horse chariot, not realizing at all the story you have shared. Thanks again.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool, ive never seen one. nice note B)

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2023 9:07AM

@johnny9434 said:
    cool, ive never seen one. nice note B)

Yea. Thanks. Me too. I was surprised to hear it's only worth about $1.30

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2023 1:56PM

I found a ten yen piece in a coin star, value 7 cents 😝

Note it's in my collection first piece

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

interestingly, Russian collectors customarily take pictures of their coins on this note in sunlight to show color accuracy