Home Sports Talk
Options

Tom Brady buys ownership stake in Raiders

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raiders owner Mark Davis announced that he and Tom Brady have reached an agreement and Tom Brady is buying ownership stake in the Las Vegas Raiders.

Tom Brady Agrees To Buy Minority Stake in Las Vegas Raiders, Pending NFL Approval

Former New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady has agreed to buy a small ownership share in the Las Vegas Raiders, per MMQB’s Albert Breer. The NFL must still approve the sale of ownership shares, which will not occur during the Spring League Owner’s Meeting in May.

Tom Brady Agrees to Raiders Ownership Share — What’s Next?

Ownership in one franchise precludes ownership in another franchise, per NFL rules — though Brady is free to sell shares of the Raiders if he wanted to pursue a stake in a different NFL franchise, as Josh Harris will do with his shares in the Pittsburgh Steelers if the NFL agrees to his decision to purchase the Washington Commanders alongside an ownership group.

Mark Davis will remain the majority owner of the Raiders and will represent the Raiders in all league affairs. Brady had already entered into an ownership agreement for the Las Vegas Aces with Mark Davis, where Brady also owns a minority share.

An ownership share would prevent Brady from being able to “unretire” a second time and pursue a contract with an NFL team but should not prevent his ability to enter into a contract with a network to work as a broadcaster, though his conflict of interest should be made clear whenever he’s on air.

Brady is pivotal to one of the central moments in modern Raiders history, preventing their first potential Super Bowl appearance in the Rich Gannon era by way of the infamous “Tuck Rule Game” during the 2001 postseason, setting up his first Super Bowl appearance and win over the St. Louis Rams.

The Raiders would go on to make the Super Bowl the next year, losing to former Raiders head coach Jon Gruden, who they traded away to the Super Bowl-winning Buccaneers.

­

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will he try to play QB when Jimmy G gets hurt???

• Options

@perkdog said:

That would be insane, Tom Brady in Silver and Black!

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady and Davis

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raiders fans have spent 20+ years hating the guy and now he just became part owner of their team. 🤣
    Well technically he could say that he was already part owner with a 6-1 career record against them. 😎

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Raiders fans have spent 20+ years hating the guy and now he just became part owner of their team. 🤣
    Well technically he could say that he was already part owner with a 6-1 career record against them. 😎

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

I'm not sure of there being a conflict of interest but I hope that this buy-in doesn't affect his majority stake he holds as owner of the Buffalo Bills. Last time I checked it was a 91.6% stake that he owned.
    Or was it just his .916 winning percentage against them? 😉🤣😎

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

I'm not sure of there being a conflict of interest but I hope that this buy-in doesn't affect his majority stake he holds as owner of the Buffalo Bills. Last time I checked it was a 91.6% stake that he owned.

I'm not sure either. You'd have to ask @2dueces for the details on that one... :p

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know, this small of a percentage of ownership precludes Brady from having any say over team direction and decisions.

• Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    Brady and Davis

I'm not going to make a secret about it, I don't like Tom hanging out with that Mark Davis, he's a bad influence on Tom, he's a billionaire and cuts his own hair, he's almost as weird as Aaron Rodgers.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2023 4:22PM

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

I'm not sure either. You'd have to ask @2dueces for the details on that one... :p

Before Joe comes in and gets all worked up after reading that, I'd like to just make two quick points.
    1) as Pats fans we are required to make at least one Brady owns an AFCE team joke every year,it says so in the fine print on our fancards. Where the Jets once beat Brady in the playoffs and the Dolphins had more wins against Tom than any other NFL team, the Bills were my clear go-to. 😎
    2) I'd also like to point out that for two seasons in a row once NE's season was ended I was rooting for the Bills to get to the SB and one of those seasons saw Buffalo beat NE in the playoffs.

• Options

You see, it's already starting, the Mark Davis effect!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    You see, it's already starting, the Mark Davis effect!

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Before Joe comes in and gets all worked up after reading that, I'd like to just make two quick points.
    1) as Pats fans we are required to make at least one Brady owns an AFCE team joke every year,it says so in the fine print on our fancards. Where the Jets once beat Brady in the playoffs and the Dolphins had more wins against Tom than any other NFL team, the Bills were my clear go-to. 😎
    2) I'd also like to point out that for two seasons in a row once NE's season was ended I was rooting for the Bills to get to the SB and one of those seasons saw Buffalo beat NE in the playoffs.

Well said, I'm with you on this

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2023 5:21AM

I wonder why Mark would want to sell any more of the Raiders? He is ultra-rich, owning an NFL team is basically a money train and he only inherited 67% as it was. why would you want to give up any more? it isnt like he needs the money.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I wonder why David would want to sell any more of the Raiders? He is ultra-rich, owning an NFL team is basically a money train and he only inherited 67% as it was. why would you want to give up any more? it isnt like he needs the money.

Its not about the money even if a small owner wanted out. Its about the Brady name. Tampa got a superbowl because of his recruiting abilities. Will he do the same in LV no idea but the very very small share of the team is worth the risk for the name. If someone else just randomly came along with the money they would have said no

Side note, its also very dumb that anyone owning an NFL team cant play. Makes sense to not play for other teams but if a 60-80 multibillion wants to cut someone and run on the field let them. They would have to be insane to want to try that in college much less the NFL but they should be allowed.

I dont think Brady is coming back either and if thats what the Raiders were thinking thats a miss. He was scared to get hit his last season and you just really dont get over that

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Between the tenures of jim Kelly and Josh Allen, the quarterback with the most wins in Buffalo was Brady.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Tom looks pretty cool in the silver & black...
    although with Tom playing for the Raiders -- that might mess up my other two guys there in the AFC west...hopefully he'll just sit up there in the sky-boxes and watch...I really don't want to see a G.O.A.T. eat up my Mahomie & Surebert... :)

• Options
    edited May 25, 2023 3:39AM

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

although with Tom playing for the Raiders -- that might mess up my other two guys there in the AFC west...hopefully he'll just sit up there in the sky-boxes and watch...I really don't want to see a G.O.A.T. eat up my Mahomie & Surebert... :)

He does look awesome in Silver and Black, I was hoping Tom Brady would sign with the Raiders this season, I was going to collect his Raider cards because he looks so cool in the Raiders uniform, but it looks like it's not going to happen and my plans have failed. But I do have back-up plans of a more sinister caliber, I'm going to purchase every Aaron Rodgers card ever made and burn them all in a big bonfire, and then and only then will I be able to rule the world from my mountain chalet. Yes, excellent.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭

The trials and tribulations of Tom Brady go on and on! I have lost interest in what he does or does not do.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

would this effect his broadcasting duties with Fox?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@doubledragon said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I'm going to purchase every Aaron Rodgers card ever made and burn them all in a big bonfire, and then and only then will I be able to rule the world from my mountain chalet. Yes, excellent.

hey DD, I have box for you to put your Aaron Rodgers cards in for your roasting... :)

• Options

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Between the tenures of jim Kelly and Josh Allen, the quarterback with the most wins in Buffalo was Brady.

Bills fans loved Tom so much that they would throw their love-toys onto the field in appreciation whenever he played there. 😉

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I'm going to purchase every Aaron Rodgers card ever made and burn them all in a big bonfire, and then and only then will I be able to rule the world from my mountain chalet. Yes, excellent.

hey DD, I have box for you to put your Aaron Rodgers cards in for your roasting... :)

Yes, that will do nicely. Of course you are all invited once my plans come to fruition, there will be free beer!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2023 1:07PM

@doubledragon said:

Yes, that will do nicely. Of course you are all invited once my plans come to fruition, there will be free beer!

FREE BEER!....I'LL BE THERE!
    Stock Up On My Favorite Brew Dragon Master....

I Will Supply The Appetizers...

And....The Main Course.....

It's Gonna Be A Blast!!!!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

Well, I was going to suggest we have the bonfire at your ranch, but after seeing that rattlesnake, no thank you! 😂😂

• Options
    edited May 25, 2023 1:35PM

@doubledragon said:

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

Well, I was going to suggest we have the bonfire at your ranch, but after seeing that rattlesnake, no thank you! 😂😂

After seeing Bud Light, no thank you! 😒

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2023 1:48PM

@doubledragon said:

Bonfire?... Did I Here Someone say BONFIRE!!!!
    Why That's Our Specialty Around Here!

The Little Hydrants Keep Busy Around The Clock Here Stocking Up On Kindling.... Bless Their Little Hydrant Hearts!

COME ONE COME ALL!!!....
    The Party Is On!!!....

P.S.
    Brenda Will Surely Show Up....
    She Always Does.....
    Brenda Is Worth The Price Of Admission..
    All By Her Little Lonesome Self...
    Brenda Is A Nice Girl......

YEP!!!!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

Bonfire?... Did I Here Someone say BONFIRE!!!!
    Why That's Our Specialty Around Here!

The Little Hydrants Keep Busy Around The Clock Here Stocking Up On Kindling.... Bless Their Little Hydrant Hearts!

COME ONE COME ALL!!!....
    The Party Is On!!!....

P.S.
    Brenda Will Surely Show Up....
    She Always Does.....
    Brenda Is Worth The Price Of Admission..
    All By Her Little Lonesome Self...
    Brenda Is A Nice Girl......

YEP!!!!

Ok, we'll have the bonfire at your ranch, but I'm bringing my Aaron Rodgers good luck doll for protection against the snakes!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

there will be free beer...well what about Scotch... B)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

there will be free beer...well what about Scotch... B)

I've studied Aaron Rodgers every move, I know him better than I know my wife, and I know he's a scotch drinker, so I'll have to pass. I was thinking more along the lines of this right here, 190 proof, 95% alcohol, it's time to seperate the men from the boys!

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Bo Jackson was the last great thing the Raiders had going for them.

As it's been afore mentioned, the likey reason is the Brady name. Raiders have a solid following and there is probably a lot of growth opportunities.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am definitely coming to the bonfire celebration. I just have a sinking suspicion that like an Ouija board, all those Aaron Rodgers cards just wont burn, no matter how much gas you dump on them

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.