Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Foreign money

We used to travel out of country every other year. So we have a nice size collection of paper money from around the globe. The money from countries that no longer exist or changed over to the euro, Is the old or not used any more money worth anything?
Or should I just make a wall hanging out of it all and be done with it? Also have a rather large jar of foreign coins. Some from countries that no longer exist. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2023 8:10AM

@kevincaron said:
    ... The money from countries that no longer exist or changed over to the euro, Is the old or not used any more money worth anything?
    Or should I just make a wall hanging out of it all and be done with it? Also have a rather large jar of foreign coins. Some from countries that no longer exist. Any thoughts?

Like any collectible, the answer lies in the condition (& what) you have saved. 95-99% of the what when it comes to coins/notes are the common "garden variety" & typically not worth "a premium" above face value (FV). Occasionally, we stumble on a rare signature combo or prefix but this is unlikely. So that leaves condition which when circulated is usually pretty grim.

You'd have to post pictures if you want a decent assessment (or more accurate opinions) but from the fact that it is a "globe-trotting" acquisition, I'd lean to FV minus the charge of exchanging it back to your currency. Take what you have to the bank & see if they will exchange some of it. Or, offer the notes online, but do it sooner rather than later since there's a bit of interest in World currency right now (& who knows how long that will last). The other option is gifting it (or as you put it- make a wall-hanging).

BTW: you may wish to try posting image on NUMISTA where there are more world currency collectors

• Options

Thanks Serial_no_8 Posts,
    Will check out NUMISTA and see what's going on over there.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some pre-euro currencies can still be exchanged for euros. Google can provide the details.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I know this is an old thread but I'm bumping anyway, in case anybody is interested & with the end of QEI notes about to unfold this summer.
    I started (an old) thread on CCF about pre-Euro here.

Since this question was posed, I have learned to purchase some notes before I travel to such & such country. There are many decent Power Sellers who sell UNC notes at very affordable prices so I will pick up a few series that have long past for excellent prices.

Very infrequently, I will get the odd UNC note but usually from an exchange outlet (vs a bank which seems to deal mostly with circulated notes). So I may pick up a radar, replacement or some type of key note for the current series on eBay. The key is to find UNC notes with either first or last prefixes (if you can) from the exchange outlets. This may be the case for the current polymer series from Great Britain since King Charles will be appearing on their notes in June. Last prefixes should be rolling out for:
    £5: BC60

£10: EM54

£20: DM54

£50: AE80

Good luck & happy hunting!