Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Purchase! 1643-1644 Irish crown

CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just starting to dabble my toes into old foreign coins. This Irish crown looked crusty and original so I took the plunge. Im gravitating toward the large silver coins. I’m going to try and go for a box of 20.

Aside from Crowns, Thalers and 8 Reales is there any others that you guys would recommend? New to this so any input would be great.

Comments

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d suggest a set of Davenports for starters.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

English crowns from the 17th century - a silver dollar sized coin worth five shillings are cool. Just don't collect Scottish Ryals, those are my domain.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

Had to look up Davenports. Looks like they are Thalers. Am I missing something? I am definitely going to be adding one or two to my box. The key for me is finding them nice and crusty. Thanks for the tip

• Options

@SaorAlba said:

English crowns from the 17th century - a silver dollar sized coin worth five shillings are cool. Just don't collect Scottish Ryals, those are my domain.

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of the Scottish Ryals. I will have to take a look 😎… Don’t worry I’m not going to be collecting/hoarding them. I would just like a nice example for my box.

• Options

@Crusty said:

@SaorAlba said:

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware of the Scottish Ryals. I will have to take a look 😎… Don’t worry I’m not going to be collecting/hoarding them. I would just like a nice example for my box.

The portrait Ryals are cool, but a Sword Ryal would be a better choice for your collection. Way more distinctive.

Andy Lustig

• Options

@Crusty said:

@MrEureka said:

Had to look up Davenports. Looks like they are Thalers. Am I missing something? I am definitely going to be adding one or two to my box. The key for me is finding them nice and crusty. Thanks for the tip

Davenport was the author of a series of catalogs covering the coins you want to collect. It’s not easy to get them all, but they’re not terribly expensive. If you can round up a set, it will give you a much better idea of everything that exists, which will help you decide what you really need/want. Much better than flying blind. Here’s one of the books:

Andy Lustig

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2023 10:21PM

Kolbe & Fanning have a complete set coming up in their next auction starting at $325. I have a complete set myself but am not ready to part with them.

Here's the link: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?search=davenport&p=sale&sid=6870&s=b