Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Drawing Catcher Interference a Skill

daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 20, 2023 1:00AM in Sports Talk

A lot of discussion about Pete Rose lately has caused me to compare him to certain players and I couldn't help notice that he reached on Catcher's Interference. I've not been able to find any type of leader board for this, but I compared Rose to five HoFers who had substantial career overlap, chosen almost at random: Killebrew, Morgan, Bench, Aaron, and Mays. Rose reached 29 times, Bench 5, the other four none at all.

Interestingly, Juan Marichal had 4 in just 1343 PA. John Roseboro inspired me to check him.

So is it a skill or luck?

Comments

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭

Mostly luck, you cant just cast out and try and hit their glove. Some guys are more likely for it to happen that are standing on or slightly behind the line in the back of the box. Some catchers are more than likely to have it happen too since the closer they are to the plate the better the pitches look and theyre willing to have it happen here and there for extra strikes. Some have even had it happen more than once in the same inning. Some umpires crowd the catcher too and force them to stand a little closer than they want.

If someone did a break down of every instance, I bet you would see a number of catchers and home plate umpires repeated on the list

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick Senzel of the Reds Is the New King of Catcher Interference
    Jacoby Ellsbury has been dethroned! Nobody in MLB history reaches base via this uncommon play more frequently than the Cincinnati center fielder.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    Nick Senzel of the Reds Is the New King of Catcher Interference
    Jacoby Ellsbury has been dethroned! Nobody in MLB history reaches base via this uncommon play more frequently than the Cincinnati center fielder.

Senzel should also be more worried about hitting instead of trying to draw the interference. Hes been horrible in his MLB career