Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

One owner, multiple sets in same registry

I never peruse the coin forum, but from the main CU page today I saw a thread title that amused me, so I clicked. A coin registry participant was whining that somebody’s duplicate set was better than his. Apparently a collector has the no. 1, 2 and 3 sets within a given registry and the OP was complaining that it shouldn’t be allowed. The crazy part, at least to me, is that most of the posters agreed with him! I for one, despite my limited means, have no issue with this. If the owner of the best set in one of my registries has a second or even a third set all in the top 5, more power to them. Am I crazy? Or are the coin guys being whiny babies? What say you?

Yaz Master Set
#1 Gino Cappelletti master set
#1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Comments

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2023 5:35PM

Unless they are afraid he's using the same coins and resubmitting them to hopefully boost a grade and he doesn't actually own all the copies that the registry claims. One would never know unless they had photos of the duplicates still in their original holders...but one could always slip an ungraded copy into the cracked case and nobody would know either.

If the registry is what they are hanging their hat on as a selling point, or to receive a kudos, then I can understand their frustration but I think people care too much in life about the small things. Sure they may have invested years, and a lot of coin (pun intended), but their spot on a registry shouldn't be the end all reason they are collecting the set.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2023 11:21AM

Heck, check out the 1959 Fleer Three Stooges sets.

12 of the top 15 sets are owned by the same person; 11 of the sets are 100% with a GPA of 8.90 or higher.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/company-sets/1959-fleer-three-stooges-basic/4648

Steve

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

12 of the top 15 sets are owned by the same person; 11 of the sets are 100% with a GPA of 8.90 or higher.

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/company-sets/1959-fleer-three-stooges-basic/4648

Steve

That is a lot of sets!
    I am guessing a lot of unopened cases were acquired by the person for a reasonable price to get the high GPA. Well done either way you look at it.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with Dan.

I know I will never be #1 in all the sets I do. Don't think twice as I collect for enjoyment.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

Can you use the same card for both, a player's Basic Set and Master Set?

@RonSportscards said:
    Can you use the same card for both, a player's Basic Set and Master Set?

Yes, you can have the same card in multiple sets, as long as it is in only one of each particular set; i.e., you can have a 1975 Topps Carlton Fisk card in the Fisk Basic Topps Set, Fisk Master Set, Fisk Master Topps Set, 1975 HOFers Set....., but you can't have the same card in multiple Fisk Basic Topps Sets.

Steve

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Folks now want participation trophies for a digital album based on subjective grades given to pieces of cardboard. First world problem, to be sure.

You can’t enter the same card twice in different set of same registry. So the answer kinda seems obvious to me.

• smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Actually, the owner of those sets, Richard Cohen, used to have something like 29 of the top 30 sets. He is a huge Stooges collector and a great guy to boot. (I now own the #5 Stooges set. Many thanks to Richard for his assistance.)

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

@smallstocks said:
    Actually, the owner of those sets, Richard Cohen, used to have something like 29 of the top 30 sets. He is a huge Stooges collector and a great guy to boot. (I now own the #5 Stooges set. Many thanks to Richard for his assistance.)

Yea, I remember reading about him in an old issue of the PSA Magazine or something.

Steve

• @JolleyWrencher said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

That is a lot of sets!
    I am guessing a lot of unopened cases were acquired by the person for a reasonable price to get the high GPA. Well done either way you look at it.

if there were a lot of unopened cases of stooges to be ripped the world has gone batty . I am very positive about that negative. ;)

I have only seen a few packs come up , even the wrappers are tough