Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Thoughts on an old MTT coin?

pcollectorpcollector Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited May 18, 2023 6:14PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello and good day everyone.

I'm new here. I just recently acquired this very old MTT coin dated 1752 and would love to hear your thoughts about the coin. Few questions in mind...

1.Is this real or fake? The weight is 27.3g with diameter of about 39.5mm and thickness almost 1.1mm.
2. Which mint and at which country produces the coin?
3. Is it a restrike?
4. What is your opinion about sending for professional grading taking into consideration there are test cuts on the obverse coin surface. Would it get graded in the first place?

Thanks

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2023 5:32PM

The Maria Theresa thalers were used just like the Spanish/Mexican 8 reals, the US trade dollars , the Brit trade coins, etc and became accepted in many European countries, as well as Africa and other nations, primarily for trade.. Her last year was 1780, so you have a restrike from any of the Eastern European countries or Africa or elsewhere. Some may be able to help, as there are restrikes varieties noted by any number of modifications on either side. All I can say is that it was well circulated, but who knows when or where.

Yikes! I read the date as 1792 when I looked, hence my comment on a restrike, some with dates into the later '90's. I wouldn't send it in. They were struck by various mints for years after and any money you give to a TPG will be lost forever.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. There are way too many alarm bells going off for me to consider this one genuine: the odd missing or misaligned details, the rim, and the green coloured corrosion are all red flags for me.
    2. I believe the thalers with reverse legends ending in "COM TYR" were minted in Tyrol. This usually means the city of Hall.
    3. It's not a standard restrike; most restrikes are dated 1780.
    4. I wouldn't submit it, on the basis that I do not believe it to be genuine. If it were genuine, then it probably would not straight-grade, due to the scratches (which I do not believe are mint-made adjustment marks) and due to the green corrosion spots.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • pcollectorpcollector Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited May 17, 2023 7:06PM

@Sapyx said:
    1. There are way too many alarm bells going off for me to consider this one genuine: the odd missing or misaligned details, the rim, and the green coloured corrosion are all red flags for me.
    2. I believe the thalers with reverse legends ending in "COM TYR" were minted in Tyrol. This usually means the city of Hall.
    3. It's not a standard restrike; most restrikes are dated 1780.
    4. I wouldn't submit it, on the basis that I do not believe it to be genuine. If it were genuine, then it probably would not straight-grade, due to the scratches (which I do not believe are mint-made adjustment marks) and due to the green corrosion spots.

Based on your logical evaluation, if it is fake as per se you could have easily find one similar since fakes can be mass produced. So can you please find another fake example for me with the same year???

Also you should take note that the coin has been in heavy circulation resulting in the edge details becoming flat due to wear and tear.

Also MTT has lower silver purity compared to standard 90%s. Hence I wouldn't be surprised greens from copper oxidation will appear.

Notice carefully that the coin blank is slightly off rounded hence cause the BURG lettering to get too close to the edge during the striking process.

The problem with people like you is having your mindset affixed on a coin in perfect condition like what you see in auction sites, but were never attuned to what a coin would look like if it is in heavy circulation with wear and tear.