Home Q & A Forum
Options

Specifications

Hello PCGS members
I have a question about spec’s such as diameter weight and thickness of a 1877 Morgan half dollar.
Thank you for your time
Chris

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onip Welcome to CU. Our host PCGS has a US coin reference site that shall provide you with this info. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OnipOnip Posts: 9

Thanks Peace Roy
    Where would I find this? I’ve been on the price guide where they do have specifications but not on this coin

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2023 12:34AM

@Onip said:
    Hello PCGS members
    I have a question about spec’s such as diameter weight and thickness of a 1877 Morgan half dollar.
    Thank you for your time
    Chris

There are NO 1877 Morgan Half Dollars. Additionally, there are NO 1877 Morgan Dollars.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭

Would you post a photo please, must be some sort of fantasy coin.
    All 1877 half dollars are the Seated Liberty variety.

• Options

• Options

The PCGS price guide does have the specifications for the normal Morgan dollars

• Options

These half dollar’s fall into the patter coins

• Options

I don't have expertise, but I'd be surprised if it's a pattern. I believe it's a "fantasy" coin, privately made, and not made by the U.S. Mint. If I'm wrong, PCGS will authenticate and grade it, as it would be worth a LOT of money.

Good luck.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

If you go to Coinfacts rather than Price Guide you will notice if you scroll down to the bottom right there is a listing for patterns. It appears yours is not listed by PCGS. This would be a good indication that you have a Fantasy Coin/Counterfeit. The details of the coin look off and it has the look of an overseas replica. https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/patterns-1874-1879/1628

• Options

It was made by the US Mint! You just have to do a little more research just scroll down on the main page for the price guide at the bottom you’ll see patterns I believe the Morgan patterns start 1874

• Options

Which one is it?

• Options

@Onip said:
    It was made by the US Mint! You just have to do a little more research just scroll down on the main page for the price guide at the bottom you’ll see patterns I believe the Morgan patterns start 1874

What is the PCGS number for your coin?

• Options

61848 and 61849

• Options
    edited May 25, 2023 6:53PM

@Onip said:
    61848 and 61849

To me, it looks like you may be correct. Let’s see what others say, but if the sense of experts here is that it’s genuine, I would suggest you consider sending it to PCGS for authentication, having them determine which of those two coin numbers is the correct one, and to see if it will straight grade and what the correct grade is. On your submission form, perhaps write both PCGS Coin numbers with a question mark after each one. I think even if it comes back as “Cleaned”, it’s still worth a lot of money, but don’t do ANYTHING to the surfaces.

How did you obtain that coin? Please come back and share the results with us.

Thanks.

Steve

• Options
    edited May 21, 2023 11:00PM

Let's start by turning your photos the proper way for viewing. ;)

The hair details look different and all wrong, take a close look.
    There are details on the reverse that look wrong also.
    The coin doesn't have a proof rim.
    I still think it's a replica.
    I have included the large size TrueView, just right click and open in new window.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1877-50c-j-1510/61848

• Options

You will get more information and replies if you post it on the main coin forum. ;)

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW:
    ~ J-1510 is silver. Reference
    ~ and, J-1511 is copper. Reference

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is a copy or fake of the real pattern half dollar that you are referring to.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

So what makes you think that! I know there’s only a couple of known. Can you please give me examples that make you believe it’s fake or a copy.
    Thanks for your input

• Options

@Onip said:
    So what makes you think that! I know there’s only a couple of known. Can you please give me examples that make you believe it’s fake or a copy.
    Thanks for your input

Please look at the photos I posted and the hair details.
    The hair details are very different.
    A pattern like this with a low mintage would only have 1 set of dies.
    Both coins should match exactly and they don't. ;)

• Options

Sorry rockin I was asking morgandollar1878. Just one thing is your looking at the silver type. The copper does have different details

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 9:26AM

@Onip said:
    Sorry rockin I was asking morgandollar1878. Just one thing is your looking at the silver type. The copper does have different details

If you are still doubting the replies you have gotten post it on the main coin forum. ;)

Edited to add: Your coin doesn't match the copper one either. Also a quick search popped up several overseas sellers selling this replica/pattern, good chance more have been minted outside the US than were minted here.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2023 8:50PM

@Onip said:
    Thanks for your input

Your piece looks more like the J-1511 than the J-1510. Your example is lacking the fine details of a genuine example, which usually happens with cast counterfeits. The overall surface texture of your coin does not have the look of a proof pattern, it looks more like a business strike. The letters on yours are soft as well as the stars. Hair detail is lacking, as well as the cotton bolls and leaves. The eagles feathers do not look like the genuine coin. If you check the pics that @ifthevamzarockin posted you will be able to see the differences between yours and the real example. Here is the J-1511 below to also compare yours to. FYI the J-1511 is made of copper and yours clearly is not copper.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics