Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Grading Services

I have recently come into a hoard of high-grade raw currency including ~ 75 Kansas nationals and other above-average notes. I have been strictly a PCGS coin guy, but am enjoying learning about currency. I probably need to have about 100 notes graded. I notice that most notes out there are PMG, but I also know they have been around longer. Is there a preference/premium in the marketplace for one over the other? I know in the coin world, PCGS can bring significant price differences due to grading differences. What about in the currency world?

(P.S. No offense toward our hosts, just trying to learn!)

Jeff

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really can’t go wrong with either service. Some collectors choose one over the other because they like one holder more than the other. Some have Registry sets at PMG which would dictate their choice. From what I’ve been reading recently, PCGS has slightly better return times for submissions, if time is a factor. Both are readily accepted at all auction venues.

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome that you came into the notes.

PMG is wonderful, I use them...

Any KS notes from Abilene, Valley Falls or Centralia?

Tough CA Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

PMG has their Registry, which is a draw for serious collectors.

• I’ve used PMG Grading services in the past and to be sure they’re one of the top TPG services out there.

I’ve only just recently became a PCGS Banknote Gold Member and I can attest that the turnaround time to have your notes Graded and Shipped is far superior to that of PMG.

With that said, you can’t go wrong with either service.

Thank you kindly,
    GPF

PS: Although I’m new to this message board, I do recognize some names from PMF 😊

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome GrandpaFred and thank you for your post.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

Nice to see GPF here! He's always got some interesting input.

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome GPF. Nice to have another familiar name. Zack