Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Can I petition PCGS to revise the weight of a coin?

SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
edited May 15, 2023 3:04PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

So I'm just curious if PCGS can be asked to re-evaluate the weight of a coin...

I'm a collector of the Modern gold commemoratives and feel a few coins are severely under weight on the registry...

For example, 1984-W $10 Olympic coin which has been graded over 3,000 times with only 169 receiving the MS70 grade which is a bit lower (172 in MS70) than the 1996-W Flag which has weight of 6!

Curious if anyone has been able to get PCGS to re-evaluate the weight?

Comments

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is possible. Bear with me on this as I researched your question, I found a discrepancy.
    In the silver Roosevelt dime collection I contacted registry concerning the 1959 P fb which a 2 weight coin with 1396 in all fb grades, whereas the 1958 P fb was a single weight coin but only 130 in all fb grades. Less than 10% pop.
    1396 in ALL FULL BAND GRADES for the 1959 P fb 2 weight coin
    130 in ALL FULL BAND GRADES for the 1958 P fb 1 weight coin.
    I called Registry with this info in hand, explained my reasoning. Received a call back a few days later and was told the 1958 P fb was now a two weight coin. So it is possible.
    Now, remember the discrepancy I mentioned ? It seems the Registry hosts changed the weight in the 46 - present full band set, but not the 46 - 64 full band set. So now there is the same coin with 2 different weights depending on the set. I'll be calling our hosts tomorrow as this obviously is an oversight that needs corrected.
    Back to your initial question : Yes it is possible. I'd suggest having all your reasons ready to present when you call.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samets said:
    So I'm just curious if PCGS can be asked to re-evaluate the weight of a coin...

I'm a collector of the Modern gold commemoratives and feel a few coins are severely under weight on the registry...

For example, 1984-W $10 Olympic coin which has been graded over 3,000 times with only 169 receiving the MS70 grade which is a bit lower (172 in MS70) than the 1996-W Flag which has weight of 6!

Curious if anyone has been able to get PCGS to re-evaluate the weight?

The weightings can be revised, but they should not be revised in the example you stated. The weightings are based on several factors. You are looking at just the populations of MS70.

The Registry weighting is done by taking three things into account:

The overall rarity of the coin, i.e. the rarity in all grades
    The rarity in the highest 2 or 3 grades
    The price (because this is an indication of demand and importance to collectors)

Most of the modern gold commemorative weightings have been quite thoroughly reviewed over time to reflect the combination of factors stated above.

The 1984-W has a high mintage of 75,886 and is a very common commemorative gold coin. The 1996-W Flag has a total mintage of only 9,174 and is a much rarer coin. This, and considering all the other factors, is why it has a rating of 6 compared to the 1984-W with a rating of 3.

I hope this helps.