Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Old World Coin Collection Thread - Things just got Reales!

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2023 3:30AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

So in a couple of posts on the currency side, I explained that I am going thru a collection that was from my wife's grandfather. He passed in 1991 and the rest of the family(besides her mom) apparently pilfered most of the US stuff. This man spent hours and hours on packaging and putting coins into these metal file cabinets. There are thousands upon thousands of cons in 2x2's from many countries. Going thru it, slowly, there is a ton of common stuff.... but then you run into some fun stuff. And honestly, with my lack of world coin and currency, I'm sure there is stuff that is good that I don't realize. Really just brushing the surface at this point.
Anyhow, wanted so share some of the finds in a thread.
Today, I went and picked more up from my mother-in-law's house. Now, there are many more of these and I didn't look thru them but grabbed just a couple. Nothing crazy, but some Mexican coinage. Note the prices on the back of the 2x2's. That should give you a good idea how long it's been since they have been handled, lol.

**Edited to add some gold!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options

So going thru more of the collection, pulled these out. Doesn't appear to be any better dates or mm's and most appeared to be cleaned but still a nice lot.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome! I’ve never seen anything like that. Every time someone says, “my grandpa was a coin collector” I can almost always guess what the collection consists of…nothing like this.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options

@SimonW said:
    That’s awesome! I’ve never seen anything like that. Every time someone says, “my grandpa was a coin collector” I can almost always guess what the collection consists of…nothing like this.

Yeah, I agree. My father owned a coin shop for year and a majority of what came in was junk. It was always the surprises every now and again that made it worth while.

I have ton of 1/2 1 and 2 reales that are mostly from the 1800's. Here is just a bit of the earlier stuff... and some more 8's and 1 pesos.
    It's been interesting finding some of holders stamped "Mexico" when they are actually Bolivia or Chile.