Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

New to collecting and have no idea what I am doing!

I have been reading and watching videos to get some kind of idea of what I might have. A $100 bill that is offset printed on both sides as well as a $1 bill that is offset as well. Is this a common error? Might be worth something or don't worry about them?
I also have eight 1829 to 1850 copper pennies. Seem to be in great shape but very dark. Is there a better way to store them than tossing them in the dresser drawer? I know I am not supposed to clean them but they are so dark it's hard to see detail.
Anyways, thanks for the add to the forum. I will go stand in the corner and read now.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.
    In my many years of collecting, I have yet to see a note with an offset printing on both sides. You may have something unique. A photo of both sides of the note is necessary to potentially authenticate the error. Sorry, I’m unable to be of any help with the old copper coins.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the entire design on both sides is offset, it could have been cut from a sheet sold to collectors. Photus would really be necessary

Sane for the cents. And no, don't clean them. ;)

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forum

been collecting for many years and seen a few error notes in my time

photos are a Huge help to see what you have

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, a clear photo of both sides is required before anyone can help you.
    Also your copper cents should be posted along with pictures in U.S. Coin Forum.
    This forum is for Currency

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

I believe there is a small amount of time on a new account before you are approved to post pictures. Hopefully the OP comes back with some photos.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I have been reading and watching videos to get some kind of idea of what I might have.

-The reading (& posting questions like this) will help but be careful about the Youtube videos. Many of them sensationalize & stretch the concept of what's collectible. Suddenly, we have "broken ladders," teller stamped "errors" & fancy serial numbered notes nobody here has heard about. Take them with a large grain of salt.
    Hope we get to see your note.
    Good luck & have fun!

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum and like everyone else said in the post. Please post some pictures.
    Thanks!

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and thanks for your inquiry.

Yup, post some pictures and we'll be happy to tell you what we know.

They can be a little aggressive on the coin side. You might be told that "they are not "pennies" but they are properly called "Cents."" Don't let them upset you or scare you off. We tend to be more polite and helpful here. And I'd be happy to tell you about your pennies. I know much about coins, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forum. youll get some good knowledge here, best wishes

• Options

So here is the $1 dollar bill. You can see the serial number on the right side is dim compared to the left side and the "8" at the end is offset. The $5 dollar bill has a "hard" stamp on the Fed reserve seal that comes through on the back and what looks like yellow ink spots around the seal on the backside. The $100 bill is offset to the top on both sides but the design on the back is smaller than the on the other bills I have.

Thoughts? Comments?

• Options
    kevincaronkevincaron Posts: 14
    edited May 16, 2023 8:37PM

@sellitstore said:

They can be a little aggressive on the coin side. You might be told that "they are not "pennies" but they are properly called "Cents."" Don't let them upset you or scare you off. We tend to be more polite and helpful here. And I'd be happy to tell you about your pennies. I know much about coins, too.

Should I dm you or post photos of the "cents" here?

• Options
    edited May 16, 2023 8:56PM

The OP’s notes, edited and reoriented for your viewing pleasure. The two serial numbers impressions on the $1 note are not different enough to be considered an error. The $5 note looks perfectly normal and I didn’t see the $100 note.

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

@Serial_no_8 said:

I have been reading and watching videos to get some kind of idea of what I might have.

-The reading (& posting questions like this) will help but be careful about the Youtube videos. Many of them sensationalize & stretch the concept of what's collectible. Suddenly, we have "broken ladders," teller stamped "errors" & fancy serial numbered notes nobody here has heard about. Take them with a large grain of salt.
    Hope we get to see your note.
    Good luck & have fun!

Trinaries too!

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options

Sorry, life keeps getting in the way of fun.
    So here is the $100 I found.
    To me it looks like the backside is smaller then other $100 bills of the same year.
    And offset or just badly trimmed.

• Options

By “offset”, I believe you mean poorly margined, which it is.
    The OP’s notes, edited and reoriented.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kevincaron said:

@sellitstore said:

Should I dm you or post photos of the "cents" here?

I don't think that anyone would be offended if you post them here. I occasionally post currency on the coin side and nobody there seems to get too upset. In fact, sometimes they even like what I post.

The $100 appears to have what is sometimes called a "teller smudge" in the lower left corner. This happens from tellers counting hundreds of notes, getting their fingers dirty with ink from new notes and transferring it to other notes while counting them. This isn't an error. An offset error would show part or all of the black face design on the back.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.