Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Obsolete Bank Note Help

As I posted in another thread, I've been given the task of going thru a collection that hasn't been touched in 30 years. Was doing some research on Ebay and reading various threads here but these can be pretty confusing. I don't think I have access to any of the books referenced that discussed rarity.
Obviously these are not in great shape but was hoping someone could tell me if there is anything worthwhile.
Thanks!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing anything particularly rare here and, due to condition, the value is limited. Most are worth in the $5-$20 range with a total value of about $150 for the group.

Most of these notes were valid currency when issued but became worthless at some point later in time. All of the Southern notes issued during the Civil War were declared worthless after the war. This included all of the State and City issued notes as well as all notes issued by the Confederate States of America.

The Litchfield Bank and North Western Bank notes are genuine notes on banks that later failed. The Albany Exchange Bank is a counterfeit note, closely resembling a genuine note that the bank issued. The Bank of Owego $2 is a "spurious" note, meaning that it didn't even resemble any design of $2 issued by the bank. So all of these eventually became worthless (as negotiable currency) and this is why they exist today for us to collect. They were never redeemed and destroyed, as most currency is.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    I'm not seeing anything particularly rare here and, due to condition, the value is limited. Most are worth in the $5-$20 range with a total value of about $150 for the group.

Most of these notes were valid currency when issued but became worthless at some point later in time. All of the Southern notes issued during the Civil War were declared worthless after the war. This included all of the State and City issued notes as well as all notes issued by the Confederate States of America.

The Litchfield Bank and North Western Bank notes are genuine notes on banks that later failed. The Albany Exchange Bank is a counterfeit note, closely resembling a genuine note that the bank issued. The Bank of Owego $2 is a "spurious" note, meaning that it didn't even resemble any design of $2 issued by the bank. So all of these eventually became worthless (as negotiable currency) and this is why they exist today for us to collect. They were never redeemed and destroyed, as most currency is.

Thank you very much for the information. Excellent breakdown!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com