Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankee Stadium turns 100

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I missed the post but pretty historic.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Except it no longer exists, and really didn't exist in the same way since renovations in the 70s. Either way, the old one isn't there since they built the new one, around 08 I believe.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

Who cares!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 12:26PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Who cares!

I agree.......15(?) years ago I was in town and went on a guided tour of Yankee Stadium..... Later that night I went to the game.....It was so cool just being there in "The House Ruth Built!"
    Didn't matter if the original stadium was torn down etc......Just the place, the location....AWESOME!....
    AND.....I got the same thrill at the one and only game I went to at Wrigley Field!.....Boyhood dreams come true.....
    Biggest disappointment?....... Never went to a game at Fenway Park.....Oh, Well.....Can't have everything.....

Baseball's Most Memorable Moment?

I Think So......

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 12:44PM

I refuse to look at it as a 100 year old building, as any historic place it's really as historic as whatever is original

Case in point, I stopped at a Dunks to grab a coffee and this guy pulled up in this beautiful 1950's car, after chatting with him I found out that he was saying it was a 1953 something yet literally the only piece in the entire car that was original was the speedometer lol. Even the frame was cut down from another vehicle, steering wheel and everything else was from other cars, so in my mind it was not the 1953 vehicle he was saying it was

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Who cares!

I agree.......15(?) years ago I was in town and went on a guided tour of Yankee Stadium..... Later that night I went to the game.....It was so cool just being there in "The House Ruth Built!"
    Didn't matter if the original stadium was torn down etc......Just the place, the location....AWESOME!....
    AND.....I got the same thrill at the one and only game I went to at Wrigley Field!.....Boyhood dreams come true.....
    Biggest disappointment?....... Never went to a game at Fenway Park.....Oh, Well.....Can't have everything.....

I Think So......

I think it was 08, 09 when they replaced it. Different location. Did you go to the new or old one?

I understand the history of the old one. I am a Red Sox fan, so the rivalry is huge, but I get it, believe me. Lots of history.

I lived in the Bronx 99-06. Took the subway past Yankee Stadium every day to and from work. Never went to a game there before they tore it down. Probably should have, I guess.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Who cares!

I Think So......

I don't understand your comment. You agree with "who cares", then go on to say that even if you went in the new one, not the old one, it had meaning.

Either way, the original Yankee Stadium saw a lot of history. I am no expert on this, but I think they did serious renovations in the 70s, so that it was quite different. Yet it was still Yankee Stadium, same location, etc. Then they built the new one, which doesn't stand on the old spot. I don't remember what is in the old location, but I think they do have some sort of park/memorial thing.

So, I agree with @2dueces that the original was historic. I guess we could say "the original Yankee Stadium would have been one hundred years old".

• Options
    edited May 6, 2023 5:08PM

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Except it no longer exists, and really didn't exist in the same way since renovations in the 70s. Either way, the old one isn't there since they built the new one, around 08 I believe.

The funniest was having to dig up the floor because someone buried a David Ortiz jersey in the concrete

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    >

I don't understand your comment.

Kick Back....
    Don't Over Think Things....
    Have a Barbeque and a Brew!!!!
    Then?....
    It Will All Come Into Focus...

Guaranteed Satisfaction!!!!!

• Options

@hydrant I missed your comment above before the edit. You know what they say... You snooze ... The early bird ...

Over think things? Me? 🤔

• Options
    edited May 6, 2023 6:17PM

@thisistheshow said:

Over think things? Me? 🤔

Love Ya' Brother!!!!
    😂🍊😂🍊😂🍊😂🍊😂🍊

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, I agree. not the same stadium. at all.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.