Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico 1732 milled 1/2, 1, 2, 4 & 8 reales (General talk about sales and the like)

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2023 7:04PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

If you could own 1 of the 5 denominations what one would you prefer having and why?

Personally I would like the 8 reales since I collect that series (1732-1771).

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options

None can also be an answer. Maybe you care for none of them.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2023 4:46PM

The only 1 I have yet to see up for sale since I started collecting Latin American coins is the 1732 milled 2 reales. They all rarely ever come up on Ebay (I look every day or close to it). I have seen for sale on Ebay over 2 1/2 years one 1/2 real, zero 1 real, zero 2 reales, one 4 reales & one 8 reales. So total of 3. I have seen a few on HA (mostly the 8 reales) as well but again no 2 reales there.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I have seen any of the minors on eBay.

As to which one, any in high quality if one exists and I had the money, with the 8R being my last choice because it's the most common. 4R has four in the NGC census. Gilboy also has a high quality 1R as a plate coin, though don't know who owns it and whether it would grade. I don't recall a high quality 1/2R or 2R.

Look in the Heritage Archives and Stack's. I believe a forum member bought Rudman's AU-58 4R (now MS-61 I think) and the Pat Johnson (ex-Norweb) NGC MS-64+. Rudman had two 2R, a fine and VF, with the first being a better looking coin IMO. Both sold for about $10K in 2016.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2023 6:19PM

@WCC said:

As to which one, any in high quality if one exists and I had the money, with the 8R being my last choice because it's the most common. 4R has four in the NGC census. Gilboy also has a high quality 1R as a plate coin, though don't know who owns it and whether it would grade. I don't recall a high quality 1/2R or 2R.

Look in the Heritage Archives and Stack's. I believe a forum member bought Rudman's AU-58 4R (now MS-61 I think) and the Pat Johnson (ex-Norweb) NGC MS-64+. Rudman had two 2R, a fine and VF, with the first being a better looking coin IMO. Both sold for about $10K in 2016.

The 1/2 real 1732 milled was up on Ebay back in late Summer 2020 (NGC Authentic). It was the one that has a hole in it but still very nice. It sold for 4000$.

It was this one that sold back in 2016 over at HA:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/mexico/mexico-philip-v-1-2-real-1732-mo-xf-details-holed-scratched-ngc-/a/3048-31001.s

• Options

I only started collecting Latin American coins in late Fall 2019 so I can't say what 1732 milled from Mexico sold over time on Ebay. But I have a good memory of those sold since I started collecting.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2023 7:03PM

The highest graded 1732 1 real milled Mexico sold in May 2022 over at World Numismatics LLC. I remember letting people know here it was for sale and it sold within 24-48 hours. Sold for 5500$.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1075103/sold-milled-1732-1-real-mexico-ngc-vf-20-up-for-sale-highest-graded-by-ngc

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@WCC said:

The 1/2 real 1732 milled was up on Ebay back in late Summer 2020 (NGC Authentic). It was the one that has a hole in it but still very nice. It sold for 4000$.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/mexico/mexico-philip-v-1-2-real-1732-mo-xf-details-holed-scratched-ngc-/a/3048-31001.s

I only look at Bolivia and Peru every day since I don't actively buy Guatemala or Mexico.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

That coin couldn’t have been on eBay since it’s been in my collection since it sold at auction.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that mean there’s two similar ones or that someone is mistaken about seeing one on eBay?

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 10:53AM

@pruebas said:

@WCC said:

That coin couldn’t have been on eBay since it’s been in my collection since it sold at auction.

Must be another because I remember contacting the seller if he would ship to Canada and never got back to me. He listed only ship within the USA then not long after it sold for 4k. It had a hole at the top. Then I looked in my Brad Yonaka book and said well this is the coin I missed.

This is when I sold off a bunch of sports cards I had mostly rookie cards and had the funds to purchase such a coin.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 11:23AM

@SimonW said:
    Does that mean there’s two similar ones or that someone is mistaken about seeing one on eBay?

I remember things like this trust me. When it comes to collectibles I remember when key items. It has to be a similar example. The one I saw looks exactly like the one in Brad Yonaka book on the series (his earlier edition that covers the 1/2 to 4 reales). I am not sure about the latest edition did not look it up. That would mean there are 2 out there.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@WCC said:

Then they both look alike just like twins. I remember what I saw I keep notes on sales from 1732 milled coins on Ebay. Unless it did not sell and you were the seller and kept it could that be possible? Otherwise there are 2 that look alike. This one was graded by NGC.

• Options

Just remembered I looked at both NGC serial numbers and they were the exact same. So either you tried to sell it and then took it off or someone was lying that they had the coin but I remember also that the seller had good feedback and had been around for a long time.

So there are not 2 like it only 1.

• Options

@SimonW said:

Clearly someone is hallucinating. It's been in my SDB since purchase.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@SimonW said:

Clearly someone is hallucinating. It's been in my SDB since purchase.

Listen I know what I saw the seller was using the image of YOUR coin so must be a scam glad I did not ''buy it''. I have a elephants memory when it comes to collectibles.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 12:09PM

I saw it end of story asking price was 4k then it said it was no longer available. Why always try to mock me. I am no liar. Some days you are nice and others you have these AWFUL mood swings.

You can laugh all you want I am telling the truth. I wanted the coin and saved it in my Ebay account.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector Can you take a screenshot of it? If someone is doing some ripping on eBay we sold probably advise them.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 1:04PM

@SimonW said:
    @PillarDollarCollector Can you take a screenshot of it? If someone is doing some ripping on eBay we sold probably advise them.

Can't that was back in the late Summer of 2020 those listings no longer exist. I remember because I lost a loved one and they had left some money to me and I wanted to buy it but as I said they only shipped to the USA. What is weird is that they had great feedback 100% positive I always check that and the had a red star not the flying one but the one that goes from 1000 up to 4999 I believe. I have OCD so I remember these things like if it was yesterday.

The BIN was higher than 4k then they reduced it to 4k then it sold.

I am no liar what would I have to gain by lying about this anyways. Answer: nothing

I ended up buying a 1893-S US Morgan dollar in PCGS G-06. Hence my username use to be KingofMorganDollars then I sold it and decided I was going all-in to Latin American coins.

• Options

Just look at my feedback on Ebay (see coins I have for sale for link) I have been on there for 21 years 100% positive feedback I am no liar.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 1:23PM

@SimonW said:

I cannot it was in late Summer 2020. I know because a close relative passed away and left me some funds I was debating between the 1732 milled 1/2 real and a 1893-S Morgan dollar graded PCGS G-06. I tried to contact the seller of the real but never got an answer so I purchased the 1893-S. I did not know then if I wanted to collect US dollars or Latin American coins. The seller had a great rating over 1000 (red star 1000 to 4999) and 100% positive. He was asking more than 4k at first (I believe close to 6k) then reduced his BIN to 4k that is when I contacted him to see if we could come to a deal and have it sent to me in Canada.

Why would I lie about this what is their to gain...answer nothing.

I have OCD I remember these things like it was yesterday. I then used the name KingofMorganDollars here because I started that series. Then sold the 1893-S because I liked Latin American coins better and have been collecting them ever since.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 1:18PM

When a very close relative passes away you don't forget that period believe me. And when they leave you money (was not a lot of money but enough to buy the 1/2 real) and what I spent it on even less. I spent almost 2 years everyday with that close relative when they got sick so it is not something you forget.

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

There is only one NGC "XF Details" specimen according to their Census.

Also, this is a pointless discussion.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 1:30PM

@realeswatcher said:
    There is only one NGC "XF Details" specimen according to their Census.

Also, this is a pointless discussion.

Like I said it is the same exact coin it had the same NGC serial number and had that hole at the very top. For a second I believed there may have been 2 to exist but the serial number was the same. I would not ruin my reputation and lie about something as stupid as this is. The coin was up for sale in late Summer 2020 and that is that. Now I know the seller was selling a coin he did not own. Glad I never purchased it.

• Options

Obviously it was a stolen photo. And the "buyer" would have probably received a counterfeit coin & holder.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2023 1:32PM

@pruebas said:
    Obviously it was a stolen photo. And the "buyer" would have probably received a counterfeit coin & holder.

Exactly what I find mind blowing is he had a great rating why risk all that for 1 fake sale. But he did wish I had his username. And sure am glad he did not ship to Canada knowing what I now know.