Home U.S. Coin Forum

CSNS PCGS Registry Set Show Down

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 3, 2023 6:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone here get to enjoy the J&L and Escalante Registry Sets at CSNS?

Please vote here, if you voted in person or not :)

Here's the background:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-set-registry-showdown-the-jl-and-escalante-collections

The online J&L Set:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/commemoratives/commemoratives-major-sets/silver-commemoratives-50-piece-type-set-circulation-strikes-1892-1954/alltimeset/14720

The Escalante set appears to be private so it must be enjoyed in peson!

J&L:

Escalante:

CSNS PCGS Registry Set Show Down

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2023 7:44PM

I was at the show. I saw the displays. The coins were tiny objects at the bottom of glass cases. The collections were separated so you could not really “Compare them Side by Side” per se. I have seen dealers in the past that have large prints made of the TrueViews and placed them with the slab. This is cool. I did not see anyone do that at Central States but I saw it a few years ago at FUN. It’s a good idea. With all the tech, they could have placed a small QR code on the glass for each coin so it would take you to the Cert lookup/TrueView, making it a much more interactive experience but they didn’t do that either. I saw the owners giving a talk on Friday but it did not really interest me considering how the displays were set up. There was no real way to do a comparison. They could have had two large TV screens and an iPad or something where you could select the coin/date/mm and then side by side it could have shown the coins from the two different sets side by side on really large TV screens. That would have been really cool and interactive.

But no…they had the coins at the bottom of glass cases separated and the only way to see the coins for real was with binoculars, which no one had.

I’ve just never understood why coins get put on display like this and you can’t really see them. It’s like the 1913 nickels that have made appearances at shows. You are sooooo far away from them that no one can even read the date. I don’t understand the point.

Another cool idea is a camera system that you can move around in a case with a joystick and then that image is projected up on a large screen. I’ve never seen that done either and would be more expensive to rig up.

There just seems to be multiple better ways of doing what was done. I have a great appreciation for the beautiful coins that are frequently toned but I’m not going to pretend to have an interest in placing my eyeball against the glass and still not be able to see the coins.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    I have seen dealers in the past that have large prints made of the TrueViews and and placed them with the slab. This is cool.

I agree this would be nice. I thought Dan O'Dowd always did a great job with large photos with his coin displays and it would be great if more displays were done in a similar way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file