Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Graded Magazines

PSA currently doesn't offer this service, so I hope this post is okay.

Has anyone ever graded magazines? There seems to be a good market for them depending on what issue you have. I feel like I have some that would draw some good demand, but I am still trying to educate myself on the whole thing. I have Notre Dame programs from the 30s and 40s, a 1957 Magazine with Mickey Mantle on the cover, an 86 Sporting News with Michael Jordan on the cover, and a number of others that I think would draw interest.

It's very hard to distinguish what is worth getting graded and what is better off selling raw. Finding comps can be difficult as well.

I also think that old magazines are incredible to look through due to the old ads you can find throughout. Obviously once they are encased, you can no longer enjoy them, let alone read them. Because of that I am also on the fence on what is the best way to go if I chose to sell any of them.

Curious to hear others thoughts on this.

Comments

• HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

I like the Beckett Price Guides such as the first #1 Beckett Baseball in 1984 and the #1 Basketball Beckett (1990) with Michael Jordan on cover. I think the grading of magazines is starting to catch on..The vintage magazines such as sports illustrated in High grade are difficult to find because as you say most people read them and alot of them didn't get saved.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:
    PSA currently doesn't offer this service, so I hope this post is okay.

Has anyone ever graded magazines? There seems to be a good market for them depending on what issue you have. I feel like I have some that would draw some good demand, but I am still trying to educate myself on the whole thing. I have Notre Dame programs from the 30s and 40s, a 1957 Magazine with Mickey Mantle on the cover, an 86 Sporting News with Michael Jordan on the cover, and a number of others that I think would draw interest.

It's very hard to distinguish what is worth getting graded and what is better off selling raw. Finding comps can be difficult as well.

I also think that old magazines are incredible to look through due to the old ads you can find throughout. Obviously once they are encased, you can no longer enjoy them, let alone read them. Because of that I am also on the fence on what is the best way to go if I chose to sell any of them.

Curious to hear others thoughts on this.

If they're high grade, get them encased. You can always pick up a beat up copy to flip through. You could also scan the pages of your clean copy before getting in graded and encased.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HOMETOWNSPORTS said:
    I like the Beckett Price Guides such as the first #1 Beckett Baseball in 1984 and the #1 Basketball Beckett (1990) with Michael Jordan on cover. I think the grading of magazines is starting to catch on..The vintage magazines such as sports illustrated in High grade are difficult to find because as you say most people read them and alot of them didn't get saved.

I have and like those too. How do we determine values? I have decided to try and purge my memorabilia before the online tax increase starts to get enforced stricter.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

To determine value you need as many interested buyers as possible bidding on the auction. Pay more for a sponsor add, link your auction to Buy/Sell/Trade in FB pages and forums, etc.

You'd be surprised how often the top bidder for Bulls/Bears/Cubs items are from Chicago suburbs so you can always use FB groups from the area where you think things will sell.

I've always wanted to try marketing in Dubai to see if any of those people with stupid money want American sports memorabilia.

• CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

Interested in this topic... have 2 UFC 1 programs in mint shape that I would like to get graded.... very rare, only know of maybe 8 other programs in people's collections