Home Sports Talk
Options

recently pestered some golf legends

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

this past weekend i went to the Insperity Invitational, a stop on the Champions (50+) tour. each year on the Saturday of this particular tournament there's a very special 9-hole tourney within the regular tourney. a who's who of icons roll into The Woodlands, TX (just north of Houston), including the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Lee Trevino et al.

anyone who knows anything about me knows what a hardcore golf graph hound i am. flags, balls, badges, cards, you name it. and if you're wondering if i'm a douchey dealer, i'm not. i strictly collect. sure, there will come a time when i part ways with anything i own, but it's not my modus operandi.

so to recap, golf autograph seeker + Insperity = sauntering around the grounds like a kid in candy land.

my "results" have varied in years past, but last weekend proved highly successful. i had not obtained fresh ink from Jack Nicklaus in 4 years, and i had serious doubts as to whether it would ever happen again. this past Saturday i got him twice and my head is still stuck in the clouds.

my girlfriend is my partner in crime when it comes to these little endeavors, and that usually frees up my hands to document the moment with a photo to make it indelible. here's a few, along with a portion of the items i had signed:

60-year-old Vijay Singh, 3-time major winner

64-year-old Larry Mize, winner of the 1987 Masters

65-year-old Bernhard Langer, winner of the '85 & '93 Masters and tied for 1st all time with 45 Champions tour wins

75-year-old Larry Nelson, 3-time major winner

71-year-old Ben Crenshaw, winner of the '84 & '95 Masters

83-year-old Lee Trevino, 6-time major winner, amazing head of hair, cusses incessantly, possesses an endless supply of jokes ("congrats to all of you Astros fans..........they finally won one without cheating!")

87-year-old Gary Player, 9-time major winner, workout warrior, may live to be 129 (2 pictures)

last but not least, 83-year-old Jack Nicklaus, 18-time major winner, arguably the goat of golf (depending on which side of the Tiger-Jack argument you're on)

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checking in during a commercial to say, thank you and felicidades! I'm happy for you and happy that you shared.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

AWESOME!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work buddy!!!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

fun to see candid photos of those greats. Man, it is hard to believe they are all getting so old.

that only means one thing...

I must be getting old too!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. There's a champions tournament that is across the street from my neighborhood, this weekend actually. Been there walking the course a few times following a group or 2 and parking at the par 3s and gambling on closest to the pin with folks. Last time we went there was a group betting $500 a pop on closest to the pin, was 2-3k going per shot while we were there betting our $5 a shot, ha.