Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Who mints coins for Palau?

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Internet searches are failing me. All I come up with are sellers of Palau coins. :#

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this:
    "Palau is a group of about 100 islands located north of Indonesia and to the east of the Philippines. Silver Palau Coins are produced by Mints in other countries on behalf of Palau as a means to garner revenue from the licensing of the country's name. Many recent issues from Palau are minted by Coin Invest Trust, a private Mint in Liechtenstein established in 1970, that produces high-quality collector coins for many other countries.

The most well-known Palau series is undoubtedly the Tiffany Art series. The series began in 2004 under Liberian legal authority and in 2007 it switched to Palau. These amazing coins, which depict famous, iconic architectural and artistic style such as gothic or neoclassical, include a window that is made of real Tiffany glass. Many of the coins in this series have been very strong performers in the market, and these coins continue to receive awards and garner great interest from collectors."

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the number of German-themed coins issued in the name of that country, I suspect that at least one of the "mints" using Palau as a flag of convenience is that German coin dealership that makes NCLT fantasy "coins" in the name of various countries. They may use Coin Invest Trust as their actual place of striking, but the coins themselves are the brainchild of a coin dealer.

These dealer-originated coins can be notoriously tricky to track down the actual mint of issue, since it's the dealer that does all the marketing. The dealer would have contracted out actual production to the lowest bidder. I've been searching for over 10 years and I still don't know where the Macquarie Mint's "coins" in the name of Nauru and Kiribati were actually struck; despite its name, "Macquarie Mint" isn't an actual mint, it's a coin dealer and does not own any coin presses. We suspect the coins were made in China.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭

Could it be this company?

CIT in Liechtenstein

https://www.cit.li/company/

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve27 said:
    Could it be this company?

CIT in Liechtenstein

https://www.cit.li/company/

Yes, it looks like CIT. Thanks! I'm not one for gimmicky coins but once in a while something comes along that I think is neat. I like Palau's gold Sand Dollar coin. Thanks again!

https://www.cit.li/coins/golden-sand-dollar/

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.