Home Q & A Forum

Seattle Area shop? or ship to auction?

Hey folks, I inherited a bunch of coins, no so much collected but just stored, I went through several hundred of them and put them in flips, a few gold, and none were graded, so I took a few of the gold ones (4) and a couple of silver (2) to a large local shop in Seattle and was offered pittance for them, which annoyed me since I had looked up PCGS values and photo grading, and was not asking to sell but to appraise, was told none were worth but melt weight..so I sent them in to PCGS, the 6 I sent all came back, lowest at xf40 then au50 the rest 62-64+ which is several thousand dollars difference. I know I could send them ALL in to PCGS but the cost and time would be horrendous.
Are there any local shops in the Seattle area that you would recommend? there are almost 100+ Quarters,300 nickels/ 333 dimes/ over 1000 pennies, half dollars, whole dollars, silver dollars.... you get the idea. I have started to look up values but go cross-eyed with info and comparison on the photo grading and red book info. Most seem basic value, but there are some that a much higher.
Or should I just ship them off to Stack or Heritage? Just seems like a ton to ship, especially if I do not know the value.
Thanks in advance! I attached the 64+ for your eye candy :D

Comments

• skamienieckiskamieniecki Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Not Seattle but in Tacoma, try Tacoma Coin and Stamp, Karen Feldman, she is very fair. She was my go to shop until I moved to Nevada

• marmacmarmac Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 8:08AM

There are a number of shops in Seattle area. There are a number of ways you could approach selling them. I suspect you will get some good advice here and if you want to put in the leg work there are plenty of archived posts from people that found themselves in the exact same position you appear to be in- with plenty of good advice given them.

I’m in Seattle as well as are a number of forum members.

You might want to turn on your pm capabilities as well