Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

1861 North Carolina obsolete note

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 27, 2023 2:32PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

I was looking through a couple of the recent books with a shop manager on obsoletes. Since the back was blank and we saw no watermark we couldn't come up with an accurate match. #s were from CR32A--40. Anyone have an idea on this one?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

We might need more details, like does it have a watermark. This is the closest I could find. Same denomination and date with a blank back. Some examples were stamped “one dollar” in red on the back and some were printed on the backs of surplus obsolete sheets.

• Options

Thanks, that one was not in the recent obsolete book and may be the closest to it.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Cr. #32J2, listed as "very rare" (rarity 10, 5-15 known). Looks like an ordinary, common NC state note, and with a printed back (Cr. #32J) it would have been common, rarity 2. But the Oct 20th date with the blank back makes it a rare variety.

This information is from Hugh Shull's "A Guide Book of Southern States Currency" which uses the older Criswell numbering system.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2023 11:13AM

Thanks, I'll see if there are any auction results on these. Would this be in the Track and Price system?

I see this one sold on HA:
    https://currency.ha.com/itm/obsoletes-by-state/north-carolina/raleigh-nc-state-of-north-carolina-1-oct-20-1861-cr-32j2-fine-very-fine/a/141936-81242.s

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, Track and Price doesn't cover obsolete or state issued notes.

And, yes, this Heritage lot appears to be the same. Heritage looked it up to get the catalog number but didn't mention it's listed rarity.

I would have been a bidder at $21. It sold for a bargain price, in my opinion.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.