Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

TRUE misaligned / miscut $1 (1974)

The front is clearly offset, or shifted, or misaligned even containing a sliver from the note above on top...while the back is CLEARLY much much more normal. At first I thought it was a "homemade error" from a sheet somebody cut themselves until I saw the back.
What do they call this specific type of error? I'm pretty sure it's not just a typical misaligned note, but I've been wrong once or twice in my time.

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @Axion3485. It definitely didn’t come from a BEP issued sheet. They didn’t start selling collector sheets until the 1981 series. Nice find.

• wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

"Misaligned Face with Part of Another Note Visible" (notice that the Face doesn't align with the Back, the Overprint or the Cut)

• @wozymodo said:
    "Misaligned Face with Part of Another Note Visible" (notice that the Face doesn't align with the Back, the Overprint or the Cut)

No, I guess I would need to understand how this happened to see it. To me the whole bill itself is jacked up, I can't tell what's straight or not. I've worked in printing (not currency) a long time ago but I still don't see how this was made

• @Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Welcome to the forum @Axion3485. It definitely didn’t come from a BEP issued sheet. They didn’t start selling collector sheets until the 1981 series. Nice find.

Not mine, but it is neat

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I see it, it's a printing error, not a cutting error.