Home Autographs Forum
Options

Dale Earnhardt signature - Is it authentic?

If yes, how much would it be worth if I was to sell it?

Comments

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

That could easily be printed. Hard to tell from your photos alone. Your best bet if you can’t determine if that signature is printed/part of photo in the frame is to carefully find a way to remove it then tilt the photo in the light to see if signature shines with the photo (if it does it’s part of the photo and not actually hand signed). If the signature shines differently from the photo then it’s live ink meaning actually signed by someone. From the little I know of Earnhardt’s signature it looks like his autograph but some forgeries are very convincing so your next step then is to get it authenticated by a third party such as PSA/DNA, Beckett or JSA especially if you are interested in selling it. If you tried selling it as is you wouldn’t get much at all for it. Authenticated it should bring pretty good money - maybe a couple hundred at least.

Just my thoughts.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2023 12:31PM

Found this ebay listing - looks pretty darn close and potentially exactly the same as yours, but I’m on my phone so I can’t do a proper side-by-side or overlay…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234846319054

A second one (unlike the first link, this guy says it’s a reprint): https://www.ebay.com/itm/404258605671

Jim

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Guessing reprint since this a commemorative plaque and he had passed away by this point. I think it would have cost a fortune to buy a real autograph photo of his, within a few years after he died, and I would bet you would have received a COA too.

On ebay I sold over a dozen autographed cards, all 100% legit, and they went for $10 or less each, some never sold, since they were all without COA.

Names like Bill Elliot, Jeff Gordon, and lots of names a person like myself wouldn't recognize.

Might be one of those items you end up gifting to put a smile on someone's face. What you'll end up with in return may be more valuable than the plaque is to you.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Not actual auto..

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Tough call.