Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bowman cards

I imagine there are a few Bowman collectors on the site. I own a few cards of my favorite players but never really focused on their sets.
There is a little history from the Topps website.
https://ripped.topps.com/bowman-baseball-brand-history/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=042623 Bowman Topps.com&utm_term=US Marketing - Recent Purchasers or Email Openers

From an investment standpoint, it seems these cards would be great for online breaks for those looking for short term investments for hot players. These cards seem to explode quick based on prospects of players early in their career.

I think ripping these are more exciting than 1986 Donruss the Rookies. Hunting for a white font Highlights card was a waste of money for me and not enjoyable while I think ripping modern prospects would be more enjoyable because their is no hindsight to their professional career.

Comments

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

I dunno, seems way overpriced now. $275 for a 2023 Hobby box? $30 for a blaster? Heck 1st edition not even sold out yet at $280 a hobby box. Just got way to rich for my means...then again Topps page used to sell out and now you can go and check the Boxes and still buy items that have yet to sell out. Used to be pretty quick IME.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I read Bowman, I was thinking of 1948-55. I'm not quite THAT old but I guess I'n getting pretty old :#

Daniel
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭

Since the early 90s, Bowman has been the set loaded with early prospect cards. Not always the preferred RC, but usually ahead of the curve. That was 30 years ago. We all feel old. :)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking 1948-55 as well- the 53 set is tough to beat in terms of the photography-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the 54 Bowman look.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘53 Bowman Color greatest set ever produced IMO.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:

hey pab1969,
    um...we talkin' 54 Bowman football ??? :)

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@pab1969 said:

hey pab1969,

Sorry I meant Bowman baseball.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@pab1969 said:

hey pab1969,

FWIW, Topps TBT for this week and, I think, the next three is based on the '54 Bowman football.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@pab1969 said:

hey pab1969,

FWIW, Topps TBT for this week and, I think, the next three is based on the '54 Bowman football.

Interesting...it was actually the unappealing design, to me, of their latest release that had me wondering more about Bowman. I'm sure it has grown on some collectors, and maybe me one day, but I also don't understand the technological changes around the time and how this card may have had a domino effect to card designs I do like.