Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Auction Purchase on Whim: 1867 8 Reales

Ok, this is the type of coin I don’t recommend - it is not in my area, was in a foreign country, coin only seen in catalogue picture. I like it, but what was I thinking? LOL Oh, and raw at that….

Took pictures in sunlight through window this AM

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/sa/khg23m7v8b03.
jpeg "")

Possibly cleaned, but well, comment if you like.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

You're hooked now. No one can own just one. :smile:

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2023 12:05PM

Nice looking coin but I have to ask what is your long term goal? You have a pretty big learning curve ahead of you but in my opinion it is worth it. Now you need the book called Resplandores it covers the ''entire'' (always some new variation that can found that are not listed in the book but the book to own) Cap & Ray series. Not an easy book to locate since only a few hundred were produced back in 1999. Costs about 150$-200$.

A lot of experts (I am not at that level like some vets on the boards) here that can help guide you.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited April 26, 2023 12:08PM

This is just images pulled from the net to give you an idea of what the book looks like. This one is damaged as you can see. I covers all the mints of the period.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2023 12:20PM

About your coin:

8R = 8 Reales (Dollar)

Pi = San Luis Potosi mint (Mexican State)

PS = Assayer initials

10Ds 20 Gs = Silver purity

Period in Mexican history = 1st Republic (2019 North American Coins & Prices)

• Options
    edited April 26, 2023 10:22PM

Maybe find a State or two you like and buy those coins. Completing a full set of all State mints is impossible (I think it happened once and was one of the authors of Resplandores but he sold off his collection and is now all broken up) and I believe there are 1000's of coins to own to reach that goal.

Rarity when it comes to Mexican coins is something we all deal with and learn to be OK with. Resplandores will give you the rarity level of each coin that was available back in 1999. Some are unique, some are extremely rare, some are very rare, some are rare, some are uncommon and some are common. I would say about half of all coins in the book fall into the common rarity. That is still a LOT of coins that are rarer.

You have to have motivation to learn about coins from Mexico and there are some experts here that collect this series very seriously (Cap & Rays). Some have been at it for decades.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2023 4:16AM

I actually have ONE other "buddy", an 1865CE which I got at a similar auction some years ago. Actually I was bidding for some very nice British bits - but I always look at their "World" section which includes the USA! So have a nicer collection of key and semi-keys over 25 plus years....
    I may go get that Resplenores book though...Yikes.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2023 1:54PM

@7Jaguars said:
    I actually have ONE other "buddy", an 1865CE which I got at a similar auction some years ago. Actually I was bidding for some very nice British bits - but I always look at their "World" section which includes the USA! So have a nicer collection of key and semi-keys over 25 plus years....
    I may go get that Resplenores book though...Yikes.

Worth the money it is the only reference that exists on the series. I would put a want to buy add in the world coins buy section and maybe someone here can help you land a copy. Could take time to locate one you will have to have patience just like collecting Mexican coins. We learn over time (fast enough in most cases) that we can't most of the time buy what we want on a whim. That is part of collecting outside places like the USA.

I own a copy for myself and was the 1st ever book I purchased on Mexican coins the price kinda scared me but I now have zero regrets. Just like all the books I now own from Mexico and South America. They are all must own books if you collect certain series. They are all tough to locate but some do show up for sale.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2023 2:00PM

Here is a dealers website that does sell Mexican coin books and worlds coin books as well. They don't have a copy at the moment but over the years I have seen a few pop up for sale. Just keep an eye on their inventory. Ebay can also be a good spot.

https://worldnumismatics.com/

At first it is tempting to be all over the place in our collecting ways when collecting Mexican coins. I suggest you find your collecting area (ex: Cap & Ray from certain States or one single State) and stick with it and not be tempted to buy just whatever. You will thank me later. You may not be able to buy much in a single year but you will be focused.

Heritage auction and places like Stack's Bowers are place that offer many coins per year and hold multiple auctions as well in this area of collecting. I would look them over if I were you. Try to buy graded coins to avoid counterfeit coins. Buy PCGS or NGC or both.