Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mailing a PSA Graded Card?

What’s the least expensive way to mail one inexpensive PSA graded card? Is it in a #000 Bubble Mailer with USPS 1st Class Shipping? If so how much does it cost and does it come with tracking and can the postage be purchased on eBay? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

$6-7 at USPS counter. Includes tracking.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I use the 000 bubble mailer also with cardboard on both sides. Weight is less than 4oz, Postage is the same for up to 4oz, usually between 3.50 and 4.25, using ebay gets you a discount from counter prices. LMK if you need help when you go to do it.

• Options

@jimq said:
    I use the 000 bubble mailer also with cardboard on both sides. Weight is less than 4oz, Postage is the same for up to 4oz, usually between 3.50 and 4.25, using ebay gets you a discount from counter prices. LMK if you need help when you go to do it.

Thanks! Does it come with tracking?

• Options

@jimq said:

Is a bubble mailer considered a large envelope or package?

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Yes tracking and ebay will use the money out of your payout to pay for it, They also have the tracking # and it automatically goes to that item so you don't have to do anything further. Very easy and helpful, they'll screw it up soon :)

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@jimq said:
    Yes tracking and ebay will use the money out of your payout to pay for it,

Im guessing you can set it up that way? When I buy a label, it's a separate PayPal purchase.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

It would be helpful to know of some lessons learned on the subject of mailing graded cards. I don't mean to steer the conversation towards another topic if @Yankeefan320 has nailed down the desired information.

I suspect a cushion completely around the holder is ideal to prevent edge wear from jostling through logistics for cards which rattle inside their holder.

PSA holders fit snugly together which makes it convenient for packaging.

Tips for international shipping may be helpful too. I imagine there are some countries doing a fair amount of business and weight/size tables for pricing may be important to consider.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a good idea to write "please do not crush" on the bubble mailer on both sides.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I use the small USPS Priority Mail boxes that they give away for free at the post office, and then clad them in an extra layer of cardboard, or put it in a poly bag (although that adds a buck to my cost if I do that, so not with a low margin sale). The weight rarely is above 8oz and the shipping is usually between between $4 and $5.

And the slab is packed in bubble and cardboard inside the box.

• Options
    Yankeefan320Yankeefan320 Posts: 160 ✭✭
    edited April 27, 2023 2:40AM

@liquidating_my_youth said:
    I use the small USPS Priority Mail boxes that they give away for free at the post office, and then clad them in an extra layer of cardboard, or put it in a poly bag (although that adds a buck to my cost if I do that, so not with a low margin sale). The weight rarely is above 8oz and the shipping is usually between between $4 and $5.

I thought if you use that small USPS Priority Mail box that they automatically charge you which I think is at least $10?

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

Federal offense, US Government

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

I thought if you use that small USPS Priority Mail box that they automatically charge you which I think is at least $10?

Do not do what he is doing unless you want to run the risk of your package arriving postage due at the buyer's address (and it will happen). If you are using priority mail boxes for packing, you must ship via USPS Priority Mail. If you want to ship in a box (which I would do for cards of value), just use a regular cardboard box. It's expensive and will ensure that your card will arrive safely. Also, writing "Do Not Crush" or "Do Not Bend" on the outside of a padded mailer or envelope is just asking for it to get bent or crushed in transit.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

Do not do what he is doing unless you want to run the risk of your package arriving postage due at the buyer's address (and it will happen). If you are using priority mail boxes for packing, you must ship via USPS Priority Mail. If you want to ship in a box (which I would do for cards of value), just use a regular cardboard box. It's expensive and will ensure that your card will arrive safely. Also, writing "Do Not Crush" or "Do Not Bend" on the outside of a padded mailer or envelope is just asking for it to get bent or crushed in transit.

Reminds me of the joke about how to make Post Office Red (wine). Put a bunch of grapes in a box labeled "Rush!" and "Fragile" and mail.

• Options

Thank you all.

I'll definitely change the way I mail things moving forward.

Thanks again.