Home Q & A Forum

How to ship a small box through eBay when eBay won't supply the shipping rates?

Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Hi, and thanks for your thoughts.

I am trying to list a small box of Mint sets on eBay. I fill in all the specifics, weight and size, but I can not determine the shipping cost the buyer would have to pay for shipping as I don't know where the winning bidder lives in the U.S.. Can anyone explain how this is done, please? I don't want to list and obligate the buyer into a big shipping cost for 9 ounces for a package half the size of a shoebox with maybe a value of only $75 or so.

Thanks! Piano1

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think USPS priority shipping on a small box is for less than 70 lbs. There are several sizes that might work. Should be like $10. flat rate.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use flat rate packaging and it's the same cost no matter where it goes (in the US).

• Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Hello, Namvet69 and MarkKelley.

Thanks very much for your replies to my eBay box mailing post. I haven't listed the sets yet because I wasn't sure how to ship and eBay doesn't offer options (unless I missed something). I'll go back to my almost completed listing and see if there IS a step that I missed. Flat rate packaging is what I use for the small padded mailers through eBay but I didn't see that option for 9-ounce packages measuring maybe 6" x 5" by 8". Thanks for your thoughts.

Alan Piano1

Ooops. Rewieghed the package and it weighs 3 pounds 1 ounce. So much for my flawless, elephant-like memory. 😂 So sorry for the bad info!

Piano1

Hello again and so sorry for the repeat posts! Here are the options I selected and eBay will not provide a cost for flat rate shipping and it won't allow me to list the auction. I'm SO confused.

Thanks so much!!

Piano1

Shipping method

Standard shipping: Small to medium items

Package weight(optional)
    3 lbs, 1 oz.

Package dimensions(optional)
    9in. x 6 in. x 6 in.
    These details are an estimate based on listings like yours: 1 lbs 0 oz, 10.0 x 8.0 x 4.0 in.Apply
    Domestic Shipping
    Cost type

Flat rate: Same cost regardless of buyer location
    Domestic services
    Service Image

USPS Parcel Select Ground
    2 - 8 business days
    Buyer pays
    $
    Offer free shipping

Add services
    Rate table(optional)

None

International shipping
    eBay International Shipping
    Simply ship the item to our domestic shipping hub and we’ll handle the rest - at no extra cost to you. More details
    Preferences

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you select package rate? Only priority or maybe also express mail (if the distinction still exists) have flat rate packages.

If you are using another method that does not have flat rate, you could use the zip code farthest from you to get a price that will cover everyone.

Hello, gentlemen, and thanks for your support on what I thought would be an easy task. I have tried every suggestion here in this thread and there is no way eBay is going to give me a shipping rate for the item that started my original post. I even tried entering a California zip code (I am in NH) but it would not allow me to enter a zip code anywhere for flat-rate shipping (or any shipping method). I guess the best way for me to get a price is to bring the parcel into the P.O. and see if they can give me a flat rate. I won't sell anything without the buyer knowing what the shipping costs will be. How I include the cost from the P.O. in my listing is anyone's guess.

I have never had a problem with padded mailers with 3, 4, or more ounces, but this package thing stumps me. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong but no problem.

Thanks so much for your well-intended help. I'll keep trying, but, "it ain't lookin' good". 😏

Piano1

News flash.

I have posted the package that prompted my initial post on eBay just now though I couldn't get a shipping cost until AFTER I submitted the listing. I do not like to impose huge shipping costs on buyers and at 3 pounds 2 ounces, I just wasn't sure where the price for shipping was going to go. When I checked the listing, it DID post a price, and reasonable to boot. Now, if the item doesn't sell, ...well....it's too dreadful to contemplate!!

Thanks, guys; very much!!!

Piano 1 :s

• SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 11:47AM

I've noticed that on some ebay listings you have to enter your zip before the shipping charge will display. That leads me to believe that there is a way to set up a variable charge in the listing - but I don't know how.

Just checked, ebay has a calculated shipping rate option when listing.

https://ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/postage-rates/shipping-calculator?id=4178

Yes, I looked into that and pulled a zip code from California (I'm in NH.) Unfortunately, I never found a way to enter the zip code in. Well, I've learned something. Before I try to list another package; have a few stiff drinks and have someone take away my sledgehammer! 😯

Piano 1

• SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 11:58AM

I edited my post with a link to the ebay article. You shouldn't have to enter a zip for the buyer - just yours.

Thanks, slipkid. I'll take a look!!

Piano 1

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

My dealings with ebay is... You list it they...people bid on it...if you sale you ship to winner. Ebay charges you a fee.

Dan

Hi, Dan50.

Thanks for the input on my eBay shipping post. Well, I don't know how I did it but I read all the posts from others on this topic and muddled through. I never did get the shipping costs before I posted the auction, but they showed up after the listing was complete. I'm confused. I'm certainly NOT going to ship something to someone without disclosing the shipping fee that THEY would pay, that's a no-no in my book. SO, I was very pleased when I learned the shipping was quite reasonable but not until AFTER I posted the item. If shipping was excessive, I was going to pull the auction.

Piano1

• UncleDanoUncleDano Posts: 85 ✭✭

Here is a link to the ebay shipping calculator that you can use next time before you post a new item:

https://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Collector of what ever looks good to me today.

Good morning, UncleDano.

Thank you for the shipping calculator!! This will be a big time saver next time I want to ship a package through eBay. I have it saved on my hard drive now and very much appreciate your sending it along!!

Piano1

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try pirate ship, costs less than regular USPS or UPS rates,

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Hi, JWP and thanks for the suggestion. After me mailing a free coin book to a "Young Collector" that asked me about Composer Coins, I was out $10 and change. Always looking for a less expensive way to ship stuff.

Piano1

@Piano1 said:
    Hi, JWP and thanks for the suggestion. After me mailing a free coin book to a "Young Collector" that asked me about Composer Coins, I was out $10 and change. Always looking for a less expensive way to ship stuff.

Piano1

Should have used Book Rate. Much cheaper than first class, etc. Must contain only books (no correspondence, etc.).

Hi again, JPW.

Yes, I should have used book rate (media mail) but I slipped into the book a few minor composer coins and told this to the P.O. official. I kind of expected that would increase the shipping price but I'm an honest guy. Oh well, the youngster that received the book will have a nice surprise when he opens the book.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Piano1

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10. you can always refund any overpayment for shipping.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.