Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1899-1900 M101-1 Sporting News

Hello.
Yesterday I bought my first m101-1 Sporting News Supplement through the auction. I can't wait to receive it.
The set from what I've seen online is absolutely gorgeous and is loaded with hall of famers.
I know this is a very rare set. I believe the pieces would only be issued on a single day for each player.
I am trying to learn as much as possible about this set.
Does anyone here have some knowledge of the set? Or have some resourceful websites I can check out?
I will post a picture of my m101-1 when I receive it.
Thank You

Comments

• jimqjimq Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Which one did you get? Also you're better off asking over at net54. They're more focused on pre-war stuff over there. I have a coupe m101-2s but I've never seen a 101-1

• Yeah, I was going to jump over there next if I couldn't find anything here.
    The M101-1 I picked up is Kid Nichols.

I love the 101-2 set as well. One of my favorite sets honestly. Which ones do you have?
    I saw a few for sale for auction this last month.
    The Cobb/Wagner is one of my favorites. I also saw the Joe Tinker for the first time this past week. Absolutely love that photo. I hope to pick those up one day.

• x2drich2000x2drich2000 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

M101-1 are super nice and much rarer than the M101-2. They are very closely related to the National Copper Plates. I've owned a National Copper Plate in the past and always wanted to add the Young but timing has never worked out when I've seen one available. If you search Net54 there are a few threads on them that can be found. Oldcardboard has some very basic info.

• thanks!

Which ones do you have?

I have a Cobb and a Joss. They're not nice, it was so hard to keep those oversize things nice. My Joss is nicked on the left side and has a tear that's taped on back. It's not nice but it was $75 nice. Cobb is worse.
    Cobb is worse.

@x2drich2000 said:
    M101-1 are super nice and much rarer than the M101-2.

I've seen pictures, they're beautiful.

• @jimq said:

Which ones do you have?

I have a Cobb and a Joss. They're not nice, it was so hard to keep those oversize things nice. My Joss is nicked on the left side and has a tear that's taped on back. It's not nice but it was $75 nice. Cobb is worse.
    Cobb is worse.

Still a gorgeous piece. Can't beat having two hall of fame players in this collection.