Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Confused: population numbers and rarity

johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

99+10+1
Or

Assuming as more are found and graded for whatever reason the data fields aren’t properly connected and this rarity score is wrong??

Comments

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one?

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see your point. Something obviously isn't right here. Either the pop numbers are wrong or the survival estimate is. Our hosts need to look at this. I never put to much faith in pop numbers as coins get graded, cracked out and resubmitted without turning in the labels. Never cracked any for a submission although I have cracked out to place coins in my Dansco albums.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2023 7:52PM

You are not confused. The database and logic are in need of refinement.

I have a grading submission of 5 coins that was received in mid-October; that is 6-1/2 months ago! I have sent multiple requests for information and receive no response. (Edited to say I was just informed they are sorry for the delay, but it could take 2-3 more weeks even if now expedited.)

Coin Facts has silver medals marked copper, my registry sets have some coins getting bonus points for being top pop and some don't. Public auction results do not show up on some coins causing misleading price guide values.

The folks in the registry are great and trying, but the IT or grading departments seem to be understaffed as so many things are slipping through the cracks. I used to think these issues were related to Covid shutdowns, but now I think priorities may have shifted away from coins and moved into cards or other collectables.

@PCGS_Moderator

Any thoughts?

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010.

Your best bet is to call or try to explain the rarity and population issues you are asking about in your OP to PCGS customer support as some of these things are not really only registry set items and so the right people may not be aware of your question on this forum.

I have already provided the registry folks and customer support explanations and specific examples to try to help get the Coin Facts descriptions updated and the set bonus issues I described resolved. They have forwarded some examples to the IT department, and they are working on them, but have explained they are very busy, so it is best to be patient.

@Goldminers said:
    @johnny010.

Your best bet is to call or try to explain the rarity and population issues you are asking about in your OP to PCGS customer support as some of these things are not really only registry set items and so the right people may not be aware of your question on this forum.

I have already provided the registry folks and customer support explanations and specific examples to try to help get the Coin Facts descriptions updated and the set bonus issues I described resolved. They have forwarded some examples to the IT department, and they are working on them, but have explained they are very busy, so it is best to be patient.

Yes makes sense. Just can’t forget to manage the existing business.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I had a conversation with the registry reps. Basically I questioned the set bonus issues for coins with pops from 66 & up in the 20's and 30's receiving bonuses whereas pops in for other years and the same grade range in the single digits not receiving bonuses. Took a few days but they did change two or three ( can't remember ) of the low pop years upgraded to bonus years.
    I'd suggest having your facts and reasoning straight when you call. It can be changed. Best of luck.