Is Candy Crush A Sport?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or,...video games in general?....
I need to know....
It's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only a sport if it makes you sweat!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

nope

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Gaming" and ""esports" have become quite popular. There are leagues, teams, etc, and there is crossover with colleges and pro franchises from the main sports.

The idea of training, skill, etc comes in. There are a lot of ways to make it work, semantically.

You will get various opinions.

There is a significant amount of discussion around this topic readily available online.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

About as much as Tetris is lol

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's an addiction

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@hydrant

I'm being serious here...when you start threads it is important to flesh out the details a bit more than you did above. It would help shape the discussion.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2023 8:55AM

@thisistheshow said:
    @hydrant

I'm being serious here...when you start threads it is important to flesh out the details a bit more than you did above. It would help shape the discussion.

O.K,....If I have to.....
    .......Last Monday night, The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ came home with some interesting news.....She told me that her and my second oldest son will be leaving for London, England soon. It's an all expenses paid trip to attend a video game World Championship Tournament..... Or something to that effect, I'm really not too clear about the whole thing. Anyway, she told me that our Whiz Kid boy is one of the top three Candy Crush players on Planet Earth. He says he's the best.....
    A few minutes ago I asked her how things were proceeding......
    She told me that things started to go South last Saturday during the semi-final round..... But everything is o.k. now.
    Boy Child was so far ahead in the competition that he figured that nobody could catch him.....So,....He left the tournament and went to the Padres game down in San Diego...... When he got home the competition was within striking distance!.... So,...He stayed up until 4 a.m. to get his lead back.
    He says after this is over he will never play Candy Crush again
    Ever...

I Never Heard Of Candy Crush before all of this....

P.S., The boy was also a very good baseball player. He ended up being a relief pitcher... The Closer. He was the MVP in two National Championship adult baseball World Series. In one series his team won the Championship. His little league team came within one game of going to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa. A freak play involving a temporary outfield fence collapse kept them out. The next year the local team did win the National Championship in the 13-15 year old division. It was an amazing team.....Three future MLB players and one boy who was just as good but he opted for football..... Last I heard he was the head football coach at Boise State University.

The reason I bring all this up is because I've known many excellent young ballplayers who excelled at just about any activity that they got involved in....even playing musical instruments.
    The craziest example that comes to mind?.....
    I was with a good friend, A pitcher, and we were on a football field and the girls were practicing archery. He asked one of the girls if he could try.....So....He shot three arrows and hit the bullseye all three times....He never shot a bow and arrow before in his life. Later he went on to be a track star at the University of Hawaii.... AND!.....He was a very good guitar/banjo player. He ended up doing some work for a very well known English band.....I can't remember the name....I think it was Humble Pie. I'm not sure.
    I could give more examples... It's endless
    Also, A lot of former ballplayers end up having very successful business careers......

Some guys are just natural competitors....
    WINNERS.....

• Options
    edited April 19, 2023 8:30AM

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:
    @hydrant

O.K,....If I have to.....
    .......Last Monday night, The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ came home with some interesting news.....She told me that her and my second oldest son will be leaving for London, England soon. It's an all expenses paid trip to attend a video game World Championship Tournament..... Or something to that effect, I'm really not too clear about the whole thing. Anyway, she told me that our Whiz Kid boy is one of the top three Candy Crush players on Planet Earth. He says he's the best.....
    A few minutes ago I asked her how things were proceeding......
    She told me that things started to go South last Saturday during the semi-final round..... But everything is o.k. now.
    Boy Child was so far ahead in the competition that he figured that nobody could catch him.....So,....He left the tournament and went to the Padres game down in San Diego...... When he got home the competition was within striking distance!.... So,...He stayed up until 4 a.m. to get his lead back.
    He says after this is over he will never play Candy Crush again
    Ever...

I Never Heard Of Candy Crush before all of this....

Thank you for sharing the details. I see two things happening here (at a minimum,lol).

First, you introduced a topic about gaming and sports. For discussion.

Second, you want to know if it's a sport, or not, so that you can know if you should label the thread with something like off topic, not sports related ...and bringing it up is important because we are all friends/family here and this is a major moment happening on the ranch.

Edited because I messed up the italics

• Options
    edited April 19, 2023 8:31AM

Oooooor, you are pretending that you never heard of it, and really just want to brag about your son's global dominance in CANDY CRUSH

Edited to add italics to 'global'

• Options

My point ^^^^^^^^

Don't get caught up on the little things, like 'italics'...however, sometimes specifics are important

• Options
    edited April 19, 2023 9:22AM

Showboat, actually what I find most interesting about this whole thing is the overlap between baseball ability and Candy Crush success.....It's in the P.S. part of my post.
    Also, two additional things....
    There is a certain self confidence that good ballplayers have. My son displayed that when he told his mother that he's the best player..... "I'm going to win.", he said.

And this,.....
    I've mentioned this in previous posts before and other members disagreed with me. The fans take the game much more seriously than the players do. Much more. A player cannot perform at peak ability if winning and losing the game is foremost in the mind. It messes up your concentration for the moment at hand and the player wouldn't be relaxed. You have to be in a relaxed frame of mind and body to get the peak performance. i.e., Focus on One pitch at a time...the rest will take care of itself.

Worrying about winning or losing is what the fans are for. For the players?.....It's just a game.
    If the players had the same frame of mind that the fans have?....They would go out of their minds and stink the joint up in the process.
    Take my word for it.
    Its Just A Game....Win Some, Lose Some....

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Showboat, actually what I find most interesting about this whole thing is the overlap between baseball ability and Candy Crush success.....It's in the P.S. part of my post.
    Also, two additional things....
    There is a certain self confidence that good ballplayers have. My son displayed that when he told his mother that he's the best player..... "I'm going to win.", he said.

And this,.....
    I've mentioned this in previous posts before and other members disagreed with me. The fans take the game much more seriously than the players do. Much more. A player cannot perform at peak ability if winning and losing the game is foremost in the mind. It messes up your concentration for the moment at hand and the player wouldn't be relaxed. You have to be in a relaxed frame of mind and body to get the peak performance. i.e., Focus on One pitch at a time...the rest will take care of itself.

Worrying about winning or losing is what the fans are for. For the players?.....It's just a game.
    If the players had the same frame of mind that the fans have?....They would go out of their minds and stink the joint up in the process.
    Take my word for it.
    Its Just A Game....Win Some, Lose Some....

Yes, the players have to be relaxed. This is true. However, you are sort of glossing over the other side of the argument and frank g it in a way which I feel is disingenuous (though not intentionally).

The fans get upset when the players don't seem to care whether they win or lose. Say it however you want. You say they have to treat it like a game. Often the players treat it like a normal job, where there paycheck is all that matters. For the last few decades the players paychecks have been huge win or lose. They don't always have to win. So they are happy either way. That is the other side of this. That is what fans dislike.

• Options

Some fans don't want to see losing players, particularly overpaid players who didn't even appear to give their all, smile after the game and just go home to their mansions.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2023 9:52AM

@thisistheshow said:
    Some fans don't want to see losing players, particularly overpaid players who didn't even appear to give their all, smile after the game and just go home to their mansions.

Showboat,.....You're making my point for me.....
    Keep in mind that "Appearances Can Be Deceiving."

I'll add more later but right now I'm installing a new fuel gage on my truck.......The One Tom Brady wrecked.....
    Gotta' Go....
    My Helpers Are Waiting!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

Showboat,.....You're making my point for me.....
    Keep in mind that "Appearances Can Be Deceiving."

I'll add more later but right now I'm installing a new fuel gage on my truck.......The One Tom Brady wrecked.....
    Gotta' Go....
    My Helpers Are Waiting!

Too many players nowadays like winning, but don't hate losing.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting discussion going on here lol

• Options
    edited April 19, 2023 1:18PM

@perkdog said:
    Very interesting discussion going on here lol

Perky, I agree with you!.....If my memory serves me correct, it was you that differed with me on a previous post where I stated that the players see the games as just a game.....win some lose some....no big deal in the long run......I could be wrong.... Probably am....
    Anyway,.....It's lunch time around here so I'm taking a break from working on the truck.The one Tom Brady wrecked.
    Ruby just showed up and she's doing the cooking. Barbecue!

Ruby....She does have her good points..😵
    Whatever,..... I'll get back to you guys later.......
    Right now I got my hands full.....With my mechanical helper friends.....

Life's Been Good To Me So Far

With a Few Exceptions....Like Ruby...
    Ruby....New Years Eve....1978...

Some Things Never Change....
    Except For The Worse....