Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Trading notes to build 2017A $1 District Sets

Any modern FRN collectors ? I've just got back into collecting modern notes and looking for others to trade with. I would really like to collect a block set but in my previous experience you need a pretty good group of collectors to work with each other. I found $1 and $2 district and block collecting a relatively inexpensive way to satisfy my collecting addiction.

Comments

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I have collected $1s from circulation, for each prefix letter (i.e. FRN district), and each suffix letter, then moved on to the blocks that are chemical element abbreviations (e.g. 'AL','CA',F*', and so on), but getting every single block sounds like too much for me. I got most of these probably 10-20 years ago when I used more cash, it is rare now that I find an upgrade, or especially a new one from circ. I usually just keep one of each though so I don't have extras. But this was indeed inexpensive, almost free really, considering most of it could be spent at cost, and it makes an emergency cash fund in dire straits.

• Options

Element159
    I sold most of my collection of coins and currency 20 years ago when we bought a new house and I had kids in college. Starting collecting modern notes not so seriously in the last 4 months but now I have the bug. It takes a village to collect a CU block set. I did it for several series many years ago with the help of probably 10 different traders on a regular basis and several once in a while traders. I lost touch with them over 20 years ago. The traders need to be spread out around the country to insure a nice varied mix of blocks. There always seems to be a few impossible blocks to obtain in each series. Mostly my goal is to put together some district sets. Every time I go to the bank I ask for CU straps or even partial straps of $1s and $2s and I am usually lucky around 20% of the time.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old timers with good connections were able to assemble District and Block sets with the two same end numbers.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

I used to belong to a club that did exactly that...each member from different districts would exchange notes...sent self addressed envelope with notes from your district and they would send back their district note(s) with whatever numbers you requested..quite easy to complete a set....this would be still be fun today!

• Options

So here is what I have to trade.

10 CU consecutive 2017A $2 BA block for trade. Looking for 10 consecutive 2017A $2 any district except B or L.

10 CU consecutive 2017A $2 LA block for trade. Looking for 10 consecutive 2017A $2 any district except B or L.

10 CU consecutive 2017A $1 JA block for trade. Looking for 10 consecutive 2017A $1 any district except E or J.

10 notes CU consecutive groups of 2017A $1 LA block for trade. Looking for 10 consecutive 2017A $1 any district except E or J.

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Frank! I see that you are in here too! :)

• Options

@tomtomtomtom said:
    I used to belong to a club that did exactly that...each member from different districts would exchange notes...sent self addressed envelope with notes from your district and they would send back their district note(s) with whatever numbers you requested..quite easy to complete a set....this would be still be fun today!

I started a group like that on Yahoo Groups a long time ago, it was called blocktraders. I wish I still belonged to a group like that, we helped each other collect by each person's unique end numbers. I could not have completed a series 1995 block set without everyone helping each other.

• Options

@luckyrollers said:
    Hello Frank! I see that you are in here too! :)

Yes, hoping to round up some traders. So far not too much interest in collecting the 2017A series.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet!

• Options

I thought I would refresh this post and see if I can spark some interest in trading FRNs. I am still working on the $1 2017A series block set but I also have started a $1 2021 block set too. All we need a just a few collectors willing to trade a few notes , maybe up to 20 notes at a time. A hand full of collectors makes putting a block set together a lot easier and its not expensive doing $1s. Reach out if you have an interest.

• Options

I have a bunch of 2017A $1 and some 2021 $1 notes if anyone would like to make some trades.