Home Sports Talk
Options

Jalen Hurts now the highest paid NFL player

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Move over Deshaun Watson - Jalen Hurts just inked a 5 year/ $255 Million contract.

"Jalen Hurts and the Eagles agreed to a five-year, $255 million contract extension, the team announced on Monday, making the quarterback the highest-paid player in NFL history."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Options

This should really piss off the Baltimore Ravens in trying to get Lamar Jackson signed. :D

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't there a rock and roll song with a lyric that includes the phrase ............... "Come on baby make it Hurt So Good"......................?

If so, that song should be playing right now.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2023 2:59PM

Unbelievable, they best hope that he isn't a flash in the pan

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me say it again ...

This is what happens now.

Every "top" "elite" QB who signs will set the market for either total, average, or guaranteed.

Maybe Lamar will hold out for one that sets all three.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Well he has gotten better every year so far but who's to say that will continue? Even Baker Mayfield had ONE good year in 2020 - but instead of getting rewarded, the Browns let him show his true abilities one more year then traded him.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

that sure is a lot of money for a QB that bases much of his game on running...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@perkdog said:

Well he has gotten better every year so far but who's to say that will continue? Even Baker Mayfield had ONE good year in 2020 - but instead of getting rewarded, the Browns let him show his true abilities one more year then traded him.

I'd venture a guess that Hurts is far better than Mayfield

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're at the point where NFL QB salaries are surpassing the highest salaries in the NBA. I don't know who has the highest current NBA salary but I do know that Karl Anthony Towns (62M) and Dame Lillard (63M) have player options at the end of their contracts that will,as of now, set records for one year salary.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    We're at the point where NFL QB salaries are surpassing the highest salaries in the NBA. I don't know who has the highest current NBA salary

Steph Curry is the highest paid NBAer so far. I got the stats from the web - no way I could remember all of this :D

"Stephen Curry signed a 4 year / $215,353,664 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including $215,353,664 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $53,838,416. In 2023-24, Curry will earn a base salary of $51,915,615, while carrying a cap hit of $51,915,615 and a dead cap value of $51,915,615."

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:
    We're at the point where NFL QB salaries are surpassing the highest salaries in the NBA. I don't know who has the highest current NBA salary

Steph Curry is the highest paid NBAer so far. I got the stats from the web - no way I could remember all of this :D

"Stephen Curry signed a 4 year / $215,353,664 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including $215,353,664 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $53,838,416. In 2023-24, Curry will earn a base salary of $51,915,615, while carrying a cap hit of $51,915,615 and a dead cap value of $51,915,615."

Its a shame because with the new NBA tv deal happening in the near future and with some recent changes to the collective bargaining agreement, players are going to start seeing more money. In some cases that's good but someone like Karl Anthony Towns is barely worth the 33M he's currently making. He has an extension that hasn't kicked in yet that will pay him 50/54/58/62M over four years.
    With the way that Russell Westbrook's salary was treated like an albatross over the past year and a half.it may get ugly with certain players not being able to live up to the contract. Dame Lillard is 32,missed a bunch of games due to injury and is signed at 48/58/63M after this season. He's a real likeable player and i'd hate to see him get treated like Westbrook was when he wasn't producing relevant to his salary.
    At least in the NFL teams may sometimes leave themselves an out after so many years if a player isn't performing as expected. In the NBA you'll have to give up valuable assets to move a high dollar player like that.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

The Eagles are going to be hurting for talent once his extension kicks in. Mahomes extension cost the Chiefs Hill, Rodgers contract cost the Packers Adams, I wonder who the Eagles will have to get rid of in a couple years. I get wanting to make yours but at some point don't you leave some for the rest of the roster?

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Mahomes extension cost the Chiefs Hill

Luckily for the Chiefs winning the SB this year, losing Hill didn't mean a "Hill of beans" - :D
    Guess that shows how good Mahomes is compared to the rest of the leauge QB's.