Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1955 Topps All-American Football Complete PSA Set Valuation Question

I finished my graded 1955 Topps AA FB Set last year. I have been trying to track values on complete graded sets but haven't found any recent sales through Google. I see the Dean's Cards listings on ebay but those seem high for the quality of the sets.

Also should I enter the set into the registry? Does that matter anymore?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

After that guy ruined them a few years ago I'm not sure it's worth making a registry set. It makes it easier for you to see which cards you want to upgrade, and for insurance record if somethings bad happens. Still finishing the set is a big deal and congrats.

No idea on value, There's so many great cards in there I could look at that set all day and not be done!

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimq what's the story on the sets being ruined? Thank you

• Options

A while back a guy opened tons of it and graded them. 9s all day long. I had a psa 8 hutson and they were valuable but then it went from rare to kind of a common. Search macboube to read more about it. I'm sure he helped lots of people have nicer sets but when nice cards are worthless because there are so many nicer right after you pay lots for a nice card then it's frustrating.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2023 12:34PM

@jimq said:
    A while back a guy opened tons of it and graded them. 9s all day long. I had a psa 8 hutson and they were valuable but then it went from rare to kind of a common. Search macboube to read more about it. I'm sure he helped lots of people have nicer sets but when nice cards are worthless because there are so many nicer right after you pay lots for a nice card then it's frustrating.

While it is true that Jim N. (aka macboube) acquired and opened a bunch of unopened 1955 AA cello packs and built several sets that still stand at the top of the PSA registry and likely will never be topped, I think you are over exaggerating when stating that this "ruined" the set, or that it made nice cards "worthless".

The PSA pop report shows 118 PSA 8s of the #97 Don Hutson card. While it's not rare, that hardly a lot of PSA 8s for a set that is so widely collected.

I'm also not so sure that all the new high grade cards that Jim pulled from packs necessarily hurt values. Maybe in the short term it had an effect, but just looking at the valuation graphs for the Don Hutson card and Jim Thorpe card in PSA 8 over the years shows these cards have not only maintained their values but they have increased.

Here's Hutson and Thorpe values in PSA 8 from APR:

• Options

I think back then Hutson in an 8 was POP around 30 with only a few 9s. Hutson is the example I used since I bought my PSA 8 and they were selling for less than half what I paid when he flooded the market. I haven' t looked much since then, I gave up on collecting them.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    I finished my graded 1955 Topps AA FB Set last year. I have been trying to track values on complete graded sets but haven't found any recent sales through Google. I see the Dean's Cards listings on ebay but those seem high for the quality of the sets.

Mike, what are the grades on the set?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

If I used the same valuation for my collection, I think I'd be on the Forbes list!

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

My set is in PSA 7 except for 2 cards at PSA 8 - Grange and Rockne. It was actually cheaper to buy those at a show than the PSA 7s I saw posted on ebay.

Mike
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I have dealt with Jim N. in the past and he is a good guy. I don't think he ruined the set. He did what any of us would have probably done if we came across a treasure like he did.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did notice a dip in values while I was putting together the set. I didn't really know why, I thought maybe collectors were tired of the set Even though I was a member here at the time, I got caught up in the Unopened craze that took over the board 10-12 years ago.

I just used the dip to fill in a lot of the set. Towards the last 15 or so, prices started to increase.

Mike
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I remember selling my set many years ago and the buyer said that he was the only buyer paying these prices, so I better give him better prices. Hahaha, I guess he regrets buying the set now.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I finished the set in mid grade. I love the set great names and great looking cards.

congrats on finishing the set

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started