Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Informal Poll

What do folks think of this acrylic coin holder?
It’s sort of like a Capitol Plastics holder, but higher quality and manufactured in Mexico. (Does Capitol Plastics still even exist?)

Would anyone consider buying something like this?

It can come with a nice box for table viewing or be wall mounted.

I’d like to hear your comments. Thanks.


Comments

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, it would sure as heck beat the way I have them displayed now.
     

    PS
    I'd wouldn't mind seeing a Reales denominational set in the same format (in particular portrait reales but pillar coins would be nice as well)

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2023 12:11PM

    @JohnnyCache said:
    Well, it would sure as heck beat the way I have them displayed now.
     

    PS
    I'd wouldn't mind seeing a Reales denominational set in the same format (in particular portrait reales but pillar coins would be nice as well)

    They do customized housings, so that’s possible.

    The only thing I think might be a consideration is some of those older coins may have somewhat variable diameters, even slightly off-round.

    Since the tolerances are tight (so coins don’t rotate), something might not fit.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JohnnyCache would you really put your proofs there or only MS coins?

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:
    @JohnnyCache would you really put your proofs there or only MS coins?

    I wouldn't have an issue putting my proofs in that type of holder.
    I'd use gloves, which I have.

    Not the same thing, but I put a complete set of proof presidential dollars into an album taken from the mint packaging.

    I bought proof libertads simply because I like how they look, but if I was to sell them I honestly don't think most dealers are going to pay me much more, if any more, than they would for MS examples. I'd have to sell them myself on ebay or similar and would still not come close to getting costs back.

    These are truly purchases of love, I love the design, period. The value comes from my enjoyment of seeing them on my desk. So yeah no hesitation in swapping them over to that type of holder.

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    Nice!!!

    Interest: Latin American history & coins with an emphasis on colonial coinage from Mexico & Peru

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • FrankHFrankH Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

    VERY nice. And I could have filled it until, in a fit of stupidity I sold the album. :s

  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks a bit of toning on the 1998 silvers....I've got my libertads in capsules all stacked except for a couple of display items...I have custom Capitol holders for some Brit series (Registry sets, LOL, of my own making).

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have my Mexico 1984 set on a similar display, so yes.

    Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice.

  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice indeed!

    As far as I know, Capital Plastics is still around.

    But that’s like a step beyond.


    Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If I was to have a holder custom made for all silver Onzas to date, I would include the following coins (non-proofs). Am I missing anything?

    1949
    1978 Type 1
    1978 Type 2
    1979 Type 3
    1979 Type 4
    1970/80 Type 5
    1980 Type 5
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1987 DDR, 1988, 1989
    1990, 1991 Type 1
    1991 Type 2, 1992
    1993, 1994, 1995
    1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 1999 Mule
    2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

    Total 52 coins

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭

    Found this list that goes up to 2020 but the site is in Spanish:
    https://onzas.de/plata/mexico/libertad/
    HTH

  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:
    If I was to have a holder custom made for all silver Onzas to date, I would include the following coins (non-proofs). Am I missing anything?

    1949
    1978 Type 1
    1978 Type 2
    1979 Type 3
    1979 Type 4
    1970/80 Type 5
    1980 Type 5
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1987 DDR, 1988, 1989
    1990, 1991 Type 1
    1991 Type 2, 1992
    1993, 1994, 1995
    1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 1999 Mule
    2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

    Total 52 coins

    Wow, you have the 1999 mule? Nice if so!

    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
Sign In or Register to comment.